Crap glovebox hinges

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Crap glovebox hinges

Post by Gareth Wales »

Has anyone found a solution to these very breakable hinges. Araldite works for a while but I was thinking towards a piano hinge or similar.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Re: Crap glovebox hinges

Post by cavmad »

Gareth Wales wrote:Has anyone found a solution to these very breakable hinges. Araldite works for a while but I was thinking towards a piano hinge or similar.
Have you tried swearing? I did and it didn`t mend the glovebox hinges but it made feel better for about 3.7 seconds if that helps. No it doesn`t actually, does it? Sorry.
Vauxhall apologist.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi there,
After my glovebox landed in the footwell (speed humps to blame again) I found a mitre fixing kit hanging around in my tool box. I had it with the intention of finishing off the kitchen floor (a job still on the list to be completed).
It's basically a spray which you put on one surface, and super glue on the other and press togeather when the spray has dried. I think the spray acts as an activator to the super glue. This has been sucessfull for over 2 months. Both hinges had broken off cleanly so it had good mating surfaces for the glue to work.
Hope this helps.
Nick
BX-less, looking for a good TZD estate.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I saw one where a set of bookleaf hinges had been used and self tappers put through the plastic but it kept coming loose. I stuck the hinges on with super glue (the heavy duty industrial stuff) and screwed the self tappers back up tight whilst it was still wet and to the best of my knowledge it's still holding.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I've seen plenty around with metal hinges - they seem to work if applied with intelligence.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

Small metal hinges, self tappers, glassfibre, piano hinges, zip ties, I have seen all of these employed with varying degrees of success.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft