Gear Linkages/Gearbox Problems

BX Tech talk
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

tom wrote:I'm against additives on principle but Nulon made a huge difference to my CX. Price last time I bought it £16.
No problems Geoff, I just know that there are many who oppose additives per se' but often the misinterpretation comes about due to confusion between engine and gearbox additives and several anti additive people who have had strong views on engine additives (me for one) have looked upon them in the completely opposing aspect when it comes to transmissions; their detrimental features in an engine sems to be their positive features in the transmissions.

Tom, where did you get your Nulon over there?

I'm still waiting to hear from the distributors, but if I don't get any response, remind me after the Christmas break to give them a ring.
I could imagine their reps spending more time bending the elbow than answering e-mails at this time of the year.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I have a little story to tell about Sl*ck 50 as an engine additive - I used to fly/teach microlight flying in Canada and my microlights used 2-stroke Yamaha engines. Due to their high rpms and heavy usage, I figured it might be worth using an oil additive to try and keep heat/friction down so used Sl*ck 50 in the gas/oil mixture as recommended on the can. Used it in both my engines and while still on the first tank of treated fuel, suffered catastrophic engine failures in both - broken piston in one and heavily scored cylinder wall/cracked rings in the other resulting in engine seizure - both of these happened while in the air :shock: :shock: After rebuilding one engine and replacing the other I went back to the normal fuel/oil mix I had been using and ran both engines for over 200 hours trouble-free before selling the microlights. It seemed to me much more than a coincidence that both suffered major damage almost immediately after adding the Sl*ck 50 - after that time I've never added anything to engine oil - BUT do use Nulon in my gearboxes on my van and BX with very good results. As Alan said, two different applications and two very different requirements for lubrication.
The only other additive I use is diesel fuel conditioner every second tankful on the TZD mainly because of the varying quality of diesel available here.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I never use oil additives in engines, just use a decent flush before draining, and in the diesel, like yourself roscoe, I use Forte diesel conditioner now and then.

My valver gearbox is getting noisey though so Nulon maybe a goer if I can find a supplier over here...

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Nulon
Lubricant distributors
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telephone and fax
Tel: (01582) 461123
Fax: (01582) 461117
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address
PO Box 285
Harpenden
Hertfordshire
AL5 2SL

Products and services
One product / service area

Lubricant Manufrs, General Purpose

Sounds like the right people to me!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Well done Vanny! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Maybe we should tap 'em up for a club discount for a bulk order?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If you do, you can at least quote price in Australia during negotiations.

125 mls..........A$11
250 mls...........A$21

Alan S drunk
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
Geoffrey Gould
BXpert

Thanks

Post by Geoffrey Gould »

Thanks to Alan and to Vanny for finding things that seem to be unfindable, when I tried Nulon then I got about 3000, give or take a few, address's for skin care :shock: :shock:
Thats a good call Tom how many would be interested in a bottle of Nulon?
Thank you have a Good Christmas all.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 BX 1-7 td Auto.

I MAY NOT BE ALWAYS RIGHT BUT I AM
NEVER WRONG.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'd buy a few bottles in the price was right.
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Having had a few week break from working on the cars i got the enthusiasm this morning to give the TZD some love.

I changed the gearbox oil (with the phone assistance from Vanny to find the drain plug!) and replaced it with some 75w80 and some of that Nulon stuff (very expensive for such a small quantity)

Within less than a mile the gearchanges were significantly quieter and after a couple of miles the changes themselves are much smoother.

Will see how it fares after a couple hundred miles.
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Ian,

Don't forget the important follow up to this; after a while, do another gearbox oil change using again the 80 grade oil and the Nulon.
You'll be staggered at the colour of the oil that comes out and it should give a further 30 - 50% improvement in changes and operational noise if it has suffered from past incorrect or low oil levels.

Alan S
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

The oil level was just about right having drained it so i'm not concerned about it being ran on low oil. The oil wasnt particularly dirty that came out either.

The price of the Nulon stuff puts me off doing it again until i do the clutch later on this year but i'll bear that in mind.
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

You'll see what I mean when you see it at clutch time. Mine were clean too when initially drained, but this stuff seems to really flush some shyte out.
BTW, what did they charge you for the Nulon over there?
I quoted our prices earlier on, just interested in seeing how much they jack it up over your side.

Alan S