Heater Blower Motor

BX Tech talk
JohnHA
Confirmed BX'er

Heater Blower Motor

Post by JohnHA »

I am suffering with the heater blower motor on my K reg BX GTI. It has stopped working!! A sharp tap with a small hammer starts it up again but once it is switched off, the hammer is the only solution.
My local Citroen dealer is talking in excess of £100 for a new one.
Where can i try for a reconditioned one,or maybe 2nd hand with a guarantee.
Help please. :(
JohnHA
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

At last someone who follows my repair techniques :lol:

Is this the part that sits under the bonnet below the front screen mate?
Vauxhall apologist.
JohnHA
Confirmed BX'er

Blower motor

Post by JohnHA »

cavmad,
Yup, that's the one, a big round black thing, supossed to be suitable for competent DIY-er.
JohnHA :)
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Had this problem it is the motor bearing jams you need a new motor from a scrappy very easy to change if you struggle to get one i have a motor here you can have for the cost of postage the only thing is i dont know how good it is.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its probably brushes but first make sure its getting a feed.

2 years ago mine packed up - been fairly good if a bit unconvincing at times - and I decided to sort it properly and see if I could discover full power.

The first thing I found was that I couldn't get anything to flow through the exposed connector - and after a considerable amount of cleaning I was about to cut the connectors off and make alternative arrangements when it started working and has been OK ever since. So check that this connector isn't the problem first. (Shake, twist, pull etc and see if anything happens.)

Its possible to get the motor apart with care, Others will tell you that the brushes are virtuall unobtainable new - so the answer is to buy something similar and cut it down to fit. (If its sintered copper - starter motor ones - if its carbon - washing machine )

The variable speed control is rather nice and uses a carbon track resistor on the back of the switch which in turn works through a pair of transistors (which I think are around or inside the motor system. Full speed is obtained by shorting out the transistors with a relay - but unfortunately most of the circuit boards on the back of the switch are wrong and it never operates. There are instructions somewhere on how to correct this problem and it involves cutting a link on the board and joining another. When I did it I had full fan power for the first time ever on the car.

So if its not the connector and you are certain the speed control is reliable and not intermittent - then its probably a motor problem - brushes or possibly the transistors or their fitting (dry joints). Your only source is going to be second hand - and I do not know of a source of reconditioned ones.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

John, I may have one here. I`ll have a root round at the weekend and see if I can find it.
Same price as Sleepy`s-postage costs only!
Vauxhall apologist.
JohnHA
Confirmed BX'er

Blower Motor

Post by JohnHA »

Thanks, i have checked all the connections & switches & everything seems O.K. so i am pretty sure it is "Kaputt". I will check again & get back to you to see what you turn up cavmad.
Thanks for your offer Sleepy, will keep it in mind.
Thanks for your comments jeremy will follow them thro,.
JohnHA
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Before you scrap it, go to the club homepage, follow BXPRESS and rifle back through the "Last month" link until about September/ October last year. Full details on diagnoses and cures will be found there and I haven't scrapped one yet. For what its worth, I'll bet it is the copper straps within the housing.
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
someone on here will prolly have one if not try ebay or www.bx16valve.co.uk/forum one of the guys there will prolly have one. mike e might have that type of thing as he collects alot of parts.

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
JohnHA
Confirmed BX'er

Heater Blower Motor

Post by JohnHA »

Thanks for all the suggestions, have now tried them all and conclude mine is s--crap. Have just found one at the local breakers & it works so it looks like i am sorted.
Thanks for all your help.
Happy New Year.
JohnHA. ~ale~
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi bit late, I know, but there's one on the 'Bay at the moment :)
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v