Aircon retrofit.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Suprise, suprise one of the heater controls has broken! Typically it`s the one that controls the temp and it`s stuck in the cold position :cry:
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Thats the only one that ever brakes mate so its not being untypically nasty to you!
Over and out from me
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I appreciate you've no doubt been on the sauce Billy! But surley you have a suitable repair hammer in stock to "fix" that little problem right up!!!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

One tip with the hot to cold dial is to only move it when the coolant is warm, they are delicate and move more easily with hot water running through them, I also "exercise" the control whilst driving,, opening and closing it a few times weekly, too late for yours now though Billy, you will need to grovel down in the footwell and operate the lever from down there still if you set it at full hot it can probably remain there until the end of March :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Stewart, didn`t know that! It`ll need doing ideally pre-eBay as that`s where it`ll be heading (as well as advertised on here of course). Couple more jobs to box off and it`ll be ready then I can hopefully concentrate on finding a BX diesel estate, though Ken may know of one I think.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Usually worth a good squirt of Silicon lubricant round the water valve which is under the console by the clutch pedal. I've been doing mine for 7 years now and generally do it about every year - it may need a couple to times to begin with.

The knob fits on what looks to be a common 'D' shaped shaft so there should be plenty of knobs around to operate the control (oven, radio etc) even if they don't look right.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

cavmad wrote:Suprise, suprise one of the heater controls has broken! Typically it`s the one that controls the temp and it`s stuck in the cold position :cry:
Carefully crack it loose by moving it to and fro at the matrix near the clutch pedal until it frees up.
trying to refit another switch or more correctly, fiddling with the wire behind the facia when trying to fit would test the patience of Job and if you've got a hand full of very thick thumbs like I have, you'll give up trying, like I did.
I came up with this mod years ago that has worked for me for 6 years now wit6h no problems, looks OK and everybody who sees it working comments on how effectively it works.

THat's the throttle control off a mower. I even got one from a Rover brand which eccentuates the "V" and ata glave looks like it has Chevrons moulded into it. :roll:

Might be a thought.

To make it easier, this is the thing that jams usually due to grit growing in the slide area which then causes too much pressure needed to be applied to that plastic know which causes it to snap. This is why it usually needs to be "worked" to free it rather than just outright pressure which could risk snapping the lever off the shaft.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Many thanks, Alan, some helpful advice and pictures there. The heater control switch on the dash has actually snapped off, there seems to be a long plastic lug which it attaches to and this has snapped clean off by the looks of it. I have hands like one of Doc`s infamous no.4 shovels so I`ll have to do some serious creeping to Vanny (are you there mate?) to see if he`ll help out!
Thanks once again Alan.
Vauxhall apologist.