Err.......What's octopuses?

BX Tech talk
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Err.......What's octopuses?

Post by peterbot »

Having just aquired another BX (had the last one in the early ninties...a lovley Mark1 TRS) I'm browsing through the forums and keep coming across octopuss repairs....'scuse me being thick but what is it? :?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Are you sure you need to know. some off these things are best not knowing nuffin about :)

Simply put its a rubber junction for quite a lot of the LHM return pipes which is conveniantly situated low down behind the engine on top of the subframe and sqeezed between the driveshaft and height corrector. Cost about 25 quid and will pass on a very pleasant afternoons work.

I lied :lol:
They think it's all over, it is now!
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

low pressure return from barkes and other assorted places. Fluid has to run back into the reservoir tank under little or no pressure and does this via rubber hoses. The rubber hoses have a big rubber union in the middle and when off the car if you pick it up by the rubber union block it loosly resembles an octopus with a lot more legs and painful stings!

Anyone got that picture again (think Jon has it?)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

I believe it`s the union where all the hydraulic pipes connect and I think there`s two on the cars one front and one rear-someone with more experience (anyone really!) will say for definite.

Welcome to the site anyhow, quite possibly the friendliest and most helpful one you could find. Can you post some pic`s of your car up and tell us a bit about it?
Vauxhall apologist.
peterbot
Confirmed BX'er

Post by peterbot »

Thanks guys...Shaln't go proding about looking for that sea creature then. I'll take some photos and put up some imformation about me new Bx at the weekend. It's not a 16v or TD i'm afraid... But a low mileage near mint petrol meteor with a years ticket & 6 months tax for £275 was too good to refuse 8)
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Doesn`t matter what model it is, they`re all BX`s! One more thing you have to do though is pick your favourite Dad`s Army character for your avatar. A good few have gone already though so you may end up as Mr Blewitt!
Vauxhall apologist.
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Yup, don't matter what engine it runs, as cavmad says, it's a BX. Makes a change actually from from all the oilers on here :shock:

If you have a look at the green tank on the R/H inner wing, all the pipe work on the top is part of the octopus. It runs along the inner wing and connects on various other components on the front cross member.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

And then there's the small octopus... which heads down in the direction of the pressure regulator and comes in two different varieties, depending on the age of the car. Not difficult to replace, just maybe a bit time-consuming (like the large octopus). There's an octopus thread on Citroenz at the moment with some wise words from Anders.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

i thought the 'squid came in a lot more than two varieties, i know of at least single double and triple short output and double and triple long output! Generally it seems the diesel/8vGTi and 16v have the long and the rest have the short.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d

Post by DLM »

I'll take your word for it, Vanny. Haven't had anything do do with petrol cephalopods, whether large or small!
tonym

Post by tonym »

Hi,

Heres a useful schematic & info. of the main octopus:

http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m15e.html
Black P2 16V, 82k
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

tonym wrote:Hi,

Heres a useful schematic & info. of the main octopus:

http://www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_a ... /m15e.html
Can't top that!
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
DLM
Our Trim Guru

Post by DLM »

I can confirm the usefulness of this info: I found myself under the car, on top, and peering into the octopus lair comparing what I could see and what I was doing with these pics/diagrams.