16 TGS

BX Tech talk
cottage1

16 TGS

Post by cottage1 »

Hi all,been lurking around for a while now and deciced to join up,currently running 16 TGS Estate which needs replacement starter motor can anyone advise me what other car makers fit the same as funds are low to purchase new,thanks.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Hi mate and welcome along. I believe the Peugot 405 had the same engine and quite possibly the 205 too but I`ll let someone with more mechanical knowledge than me confirm this for sure.
Incidentally if you send a Private Message to BXCM of this very forum I`m pretty sure he`ll have one or know of one.
Good luck finding one, I`m sure one will turn up sooner rather than later and as I say welcome along.
Vauxhall apologist.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What is wrong with your starter? - you may be able to repair or overhaul it.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

16tgs is a TU engine sin't it, does that mean the starter is on the back of the engine? If so i have a brand new one lying around (was on a car for three days before it was driven into!), wasn't cheap but i'm never going to use it!
cottage1

Post by cottage1 »

THanks for replies,
Starter on front of engine,
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

16 is defo a XU vanny same as my xantia which is 1.8 version of said engine.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Did they ever make a 1.6 TU???? Perhaps the saxo VTR/VTS???

Back on topic though practical classics did a feature on which other models used various parts like starters etc etc.

If you go down the scrappers though i'd have thought any BX, 405, 309, 306, Xantia etc etc will a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 petrol engine will be the same. Even an XM 2.0 if you fancy a bit more of a challenge!
Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

THe 16TGS has an XU engine so there are plenty of possibilities from the PSA XU engines in 1.6, 1.9, and the later 1.8 flavours. I replaced (or rather Tom did ) a TZI starter with a much slimmer one from a Pug 306 (see also 309, 405, Cit ZX, Xantia etc). Those who have owned a TZi or GTi will appreciate why a slimmer one was a much better idea, but there's bags of room for the job on a plain vanilla BX16.

I may have the original, as it turned out to be the alarm system that was most to blame (often is on an older car). I'll check.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

.....My one looked recently replaced....but it still failed and was completely burned out a few months ago. The garage fitted a one which I believe is more like the original..brand valeo (or something like that) works perfectly
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Ian_Fearn wrote:Did they ever make a 1.6 TU???? Perhaps the saxo VTR/VTS???
Yup, Saxo VTR and VTS, Pug 106 XSi (later version) GTi and Rallye (series 2)

Also used in Pug 206, 306, Xsara and Picassos. Plus them Berlingos and Partner vans.

VTS and GTi use a 16v version of it, as does the later Xsara VTR. C2, C3, C4.....all still use the 16v version.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)