CV joint or driveshaft change.

BX Tech talk
tim leech

CV joint or driveshaft change.

Post by tim leech »

Which is easier guys, my 16v has a non abs driveshaft and the other the CV is worn out, I have a pair of used 16v drivehshafts I can fit but im told there awkward, and of course they are used and untested so may be not much better.

Can i fit two new correct CVs to the existing driveshafts to cure my problems.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yeah, it's possible to change the (outer) CV joints, although it's probably easier to change the whole shaft. The N/s shaft is very easy, the O/S shaft is not much harder, you just need to undo the two 11mm nuts on the support bearing bolts. The bearing can corrode into the bottom engine mount but a good bar and a heavy hammer usually gets them out! :D

If you change the shafts do the diff seals at the same time.
Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
M

Post by M »

With every car I have ever had CV trouble with the simplest option has been to fit an exchange driveshaft and refill the gearbox afterwards.
Not the cheapest, though at £55 ish an exchange shaft not the most expensive problem either.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Can i get 2 new shafts for that sort of money then and where? I dont mind shelling out the cash as long as its right.
M

Post by M »

If you have some shafts already, grease them up and slap them in. Otherwise, GSF, ECP and the ilk used to carry them - may be a case of phoning and seeing where the items are and getting them shipped.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

The ones I have are used and off a high mileage 16v that was broken up, so if its about a hundred for a new pair I will get some.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Yep, I'd go for new. If you "enjoy" the valver the shafts have a fairly hard life. ECP are cheaper than GSF and I know last time I wanted some for mine they wern't interested in ordering any, didn't have any in stock, and then tried to fob me off with crap ones. I got genuine in the end, aint killed them yet....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

I did the n/s on mine a couple of years ago £26 from GSF IIRC but I think 16v ones are different tho'. Still, a surprisingly cheap and quick alternative to getting dirty with a CV joint!!
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

GSF want £98 + vat EACH! and as usual ECP says "sorry no stock" :evil:
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Try M&C Lockwood, 01274 640590

If he has one you can get it delivered here. :D
They think it's all over, it is now!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Whys that then Ken? I still have your radiator btw!
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

ECP sold me the right hand one for £73.11+VAT Yesterday and are getting me the left hand one for £35+Vat tomorrow. These are the ABS shafts for a 16V or TD. At that price, I wouldn't bother with the outer joints because the inner ones wear out as well. If ECP's website says that there is no stock, Call a branch up and enquire. You may be pleasantly surprised as I was with the left hand shaft which is supposedly out of stock.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks tom, will try that.
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Like Ken said, try M&C Lockwoods. I get most of my parts from them now. Excellent service AND he knows Citroens!
Over and out from me
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Thanks Ian, also thanks for agreeing to fit them! :D