1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Help required on fitting Cambelt Covers

Post by MULLEY »

I had a recent cambelt change done by local garage & the idiots noticed that there were no cambelt covers on the car so fitted the cambelt & didnt bother ordering new covers.

I am now the owner of some covers & clips, hurrah, however i thought i would fit them myself, i had a look in the engine bay hoping it would be obvious and that a non techie could do, but alas no, i have no idea how to do this.

Can anyone advise on how to do it, or should i just get the garage to fit them, they wanted money to do this which seems out of order as i have in theory already paid for this work.....

Vanny who has kindly donated these lovely bits of plastic did suggest that i take a photo of engine bay (to send to him) to see if all the parts were present to enable them to be fitted, but a combination of bad weather & not being about has made that impossible.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The concept of fitting the covers isn't difficult - you will need to work out some method for reaching and operating the central spring clip first.

When I did mine fitting the belt was the easy bit - and I'm sure I spent more time fiddling with the covers than I did fitting the belt. I nearly left them off but the belt is a bit of a safety risk as clothing and other things could get caught in it with very serious consequences.

I for one would not be happy with mechanics ordering new bits without prior authority, or waiting days to get the car back while the bits arrived (or being without the car again while they were fitted)
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Right then, I assume the bottom cover is on already??
If so then fit the rear cover first, feed it down the back of the engine, You may need a long screwdriver or such to "help" the cover over the two locating pins that stick out. Then just clip the spring clips over, takes moments.
The front cover locates on the top locating pin on the cut out on the cover, slides onto it, then just do the clip up. It's hard to explain and takes longer than actually doing it! But the job is very simple!
If I was closer I'd dap over and shove 'em on for ya!

Good luck!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I'm not sure if the bottom one is on or not as i have no point of reference, what i can say is that when i looked at the cambelt as far as it would go i could see one of the clips sticking out. Vanny sent me 2 pieces of plastic & 2 clips, one is larger than the other, is one the bottom cover & the other the top? if so which size one goes where?

Sorry to sound dim, but i am....
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The larger one is top rear, the smaller top front, easiest to support the engine with a jack under the sump and remove the top engine mounting (16mm nuts) your GTI plug spanner will fit these, lift the engine an inch or two to further improve access, offer up the larger rear cover first, making sure that the lower locating pin comes through the hole in the cover (there should be a rubber spacer on the pin, (the pin looks like a poppet valve) if missing a short length of garden hose should make a replacement, the front cover should fit somilarly with a cut out notch also locating on the same pin and preventing the cover from moving about, the dodgy paperclip shown in the BOL is only found on very early models, reassembly is the reversal of the dismantling procedure :)
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

stand at the front of the car and open the bonnet
move to the drivers wing and look at the engine
you can see the belt, and the top engine mount
under the belt to the left of the engine mount is a big round thing with teeth, thats your camshaft pulley Mulley, and the BIG piece of plastic goes round that.
to the right of the engine mount you'll see the fuel pump pulley and the smaller piece of plastic goes around that

now look behind the belt (towards the far side of the engine, just past the left pulley) there should be a piece of metal sheet that follows the shape of the pulley but a little bit bigger, the plastic covers push onto the metal plate and the spring clips come down over the top holding it in place. Its pretty obvious where the clips go i hope.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

At last someone doing technical instructions in my language! :D
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Cheers for that Vanny, i wont be able to do anything until the weekend as its pitch black & peeing down by the time i get back from work... this is beginning to be a right pain in bum, havent driven the car since the breakdown about 2wks ago.....

Hopefully your help will get it sorted once & for all.....
MULLEY
Over 2k

Post by MULLEY »

Had a go at fitting the covers tonight, managed to get the bigger piece down but couldnt get it to fit properly & then the torch died. I think i will try & persuade the garage to give me a hand in fitting it seeing as i am probably their most regular customer since buying my 1st bx....