Is my driveshaft shafted??

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Is my driveshaft shafted??

Post by BX Bandit »

I've had to replace the OSF whel bearing cos it was screaming like beeyatch but there also an additional rumble (speed related) which may have been something else. I have found that the outer CV has play between forward and backwards rotation....is this necessarily knackered? Whilst I'm under the car with the front o/s in bits I'd thought I'd check the intermediate drive shaft and bearing....although I've read up on how to do it (thanks to you guys on this very forum) but what are the indications of failure/excessive wear on these bits?

GSF don't do an intermediate bearing, just in case I need one, any idea where to get one from?

cheers
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I just went to a bearing supplier with the number, under a fiver AFAIR, you need to cut the ring off to remove the old one, then I raised a major burr on the shaft using a chisel to prevent the new bearing from moving, done 20k like that now.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If the outer joint isn't knackered now it soon will be. Does it make a regular noise when the wheel is on full lock?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mine clicks like a swine when its n lock.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:I just went to a bearing supplier with the number, under a fiver AFAIR, you need to cut the ring off to remove the old one, then I raised a major burr on the shaft using a chisel to prevent the new bearing from moving, done 20k like that now.
Stewart
Cut the ring off? Is that the part of the bearing that fits onto the intermediate shaft? Does the bearing not pull/push on/off with a drift or similar precision tool??

There's no knock on full lock Jeremy but we hit a bloomin big pothole last night on that side so if it did do damage to the cvj we didn't notice it on the 15 miles home...AFAIK it's the original d/s so its done 195K. From your comment I'm guessing I may as well replace wit now while its in bits??
1990 BX TGD White
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Well that's the point - how much do you enjoy playing around with driveshafts?

I doubt if hitting bumps will damage driveshafts. They don't carry any suspension loads - only drive torque.

I would expect the middle bearing to slide on - probably with some encouragement from a hammer or two and some odd bits of scrap metal - all applied by a precision operator! The outer part of the new bearing should NOT be struck as this may damage the balls/races - causing rapid wear and noise. Any force necessary should be applied to the centre.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Well that's the point - how much do you enjoy playing around with driveshafts?
Erm...as much as the next bloke :shock:
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

If theres play in the outer joint then aye, change the shaft! A replacement shaft will of course also come with a intermediate bearing!

The bearing is easy to change, as said, cut the old one off, then get a long length of tube big enough to slide over the shaft and tap the new bearing in. As Jeremy said though DO NOT hit the outer race of the bearing!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Id say replace the shaft with a new one, as that will solve your bearing change issue at the same time. Id say that noticable play forward to reverse renders the shaft knackered as mine clicks sometimes in low speed traffic, but even that doesn't seem to have any feelable play.. Mind you its hard to tell as most of the play will happen in the gearbox anyway as its hard to keep the shaft still.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Thanks guys, the intermediate bearing sounded ok in the end but on closer inspection of the driveshaft both the inner and outer cvjs had a fair amount of backlash so I've ordered a new one to be fitted tomorrow....
1990 BX TGD White
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

The inner joint wears as well so buy a new shaft.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Both inner and outer cvjs were sloppy Tom as you said so.....new shaft ordered...I hope c/w intermediate bearing for £40 odd + VAT so mustn't grumble.....the old bearing took alot of 'Goat Skill' to be removed but I used the lightest of feathers to replace the new one...all nice and smooth now...new g/box oil going in too so she should be sweet as a nut...apart from the clutch but that will have to wait :o
1990 BX TGD White
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

where did you get that from in the end bandit?
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I have ordered it from GSF and we had a disagreement about part numbers so I bravely left it up to them...doh! Having checked their website just now I was actually quoting pt no. for the only RH D/S they list which is no good for a TD. So, they don't actually list a RH d/s for TD abs or non abs. He did quote £41ish + vat on the phone for his pt no. so I await very nervously at present. I'll post more info when I have the actual like for like in my greazy mit!!!
1990 BX TGD White
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Good luck mate, you'll need it!

GSF have lost the plot with BX bits.
I got some non-abs TD shafts some time ago, they wern't listed in the catalogue and I was given both shafts for peanuts (seriousley) since the guy behind the counter said they wern't going to stock them anymore and wanted to get rid of what was left. This was a good couple of years ago....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...