Alloys vs steels/economy vs road-holding

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I love my UNIROYALs, the Rallye 540 was a better tyre for out and out grip but the 550 is more than sapable, I've never scared myself yet (well, not too much).

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I have Uniroyal 550s on my TZD and the wet and dry grip is superb, never an anxious momet, they were not expensive either, on the Xantia I have Klebers on citroen alloys, wider than standard for a 1.9TD (I think they came off a 2.1) and they are pretty good too though ultimate wet grip may not be as good as the Uniroyals, on the subject of insurers I declared that the alloys fitted are factory options which seems to placate them. Though I have yet to claim for a good while.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I believe that if you fit alloys that were available as an option originally it isn't a problem. I have decided to fit GTi steels though so apart from the width there's no difference - and visually, as they'll have the original trims on them it's unlikely noone would ever notice anyway.
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

I nearly went for a set of winterhawks as well bandit, but they were a trifle more expensive & didnt seem to come out in the ratings any different, so thought i would try out the Debica's instead, no regrets sofar!!!

I agree with Philip re the insurance thing, if u put on bad boy non standards then its best to mention this to your insurer, they will probably be ok but if you didnt mention this, they could have their get out of paying clause (its all technical rubbish to invalidate your claim).

Technically speaking if you changed a cars suspension & changed the braking system to make the car handle & stop more safely, these would be modifications & the insurer may not approve them. Safest course of action when modifying any vehicle is to ask your insurer if its acceptable to them & if not how much extra is it going to cost on your policy.

Gone off thread again.....:wink:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

But then there is the difference between general maintenance and repair and modification.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

It also assumes that your insurers are possesed of a brain cell, attempts to go legit with th 1.9TZD proved that they have very few.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft