sending unit / pressure switch

BX Tech talk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

sending unit / pressure switch

Post by pinfold »

Happy new year team!

My christmas break was spent overhauling my 16v. wife not very happy!

But i have one last problem to fix!

Oil pressure gauge.

Have tryed two different pods, and both didnt work, so i assume it is the sensor.

Am i correct in saying that it is the sender unit that measures the oil pressure, and the pressure switch that turns the read light on when i have no pressure?

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

I think you'll find the one that reads pressure/level is on the rear of the engine and the one that operates the light is on the front under the intake manifold.
Crappy wiring to both is quite common.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Er, not quite Alan.
The level sensor is on the back of the engine.
The pressure sensor and pressure switch are next to eachother on the front of the block.
The sensor is the larger of the units, and it's a b&$t&rd to get at without removing the inlet manifold.
You may want to try another piece of wire before condemning the switch though. Just run a piece of cable from the sensor to the dash direct and see if it works.

The pin on the dash is on the white plug on the right hand side of the binnacle (looking at it from the drivers seat) and is the second pin in from the right. Or at least, it is on mine....

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Thanks for that chaps , the new wire idea sounds the way forward, especially as i have been quoted £65 + vat for a new sensor.

Strangeley this morning whilst the car was running cold, the gauge was trying to work, not properly, but it rised from nothing and you could see the needle trying to move! but when it warmed up, back to nothing again!

bizar

im sure that citroen have an office of engineers designing these electrical faults into the engines :-)

Matt
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Can you fit an oil temp gauge to a TZD?
Over and out from me
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

As far as I remember, you can only do this if you've fitted the sump from a coolant-and-oil-gauged petrol Gti or 16v. Only these sumps include a threaded orifice for the oil temperature sensor to screw into. I'm very happy to be told otherwise, but that's the way I remember it.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I've got an aircon sump ready to go on mine....
Over and out from me
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

You can fit an oil temperature gauge to a TZD as David suggests but you will never need it. By the time the oil overheats, the engine will be long gone.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I had one in my GTI/TD using the sump from a 405 SRI, one thing I found interesting was how long it took for the oil to reach operating temperature compared to the water, ie normal temp after about eight miles, compared to about three for the water.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

tom wrote:You can fit an oil temperature gauge to a TZD as David suggests but you will never need it. By the time the oil overheats, the engine will be long gone.
When you put a water temp gauge from a GTi in the job is tidier if you replace the whole unit rather than cutting the gauge fronts. I thought if its a simple job then i'll do it when the sump gets changed over.
Over and out from me
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

docchevron1472 wrote:Er, not quite Alan.
The level sensor is on the back of the engine.
The pressure sensor and pressure switch are next to eachother on the front of the block.
The sensor is the larger of the units, and it's a b&$t&rd to get at without removing the inlet manifold.
You may want to try another piece of wire before condemning the switch though. Just run a piece of cable from the sensor to the dash direct and see if it works.

The pin on the dash is on the white plug on the right hand side of the binnacle (looking at it from the drivers seat) and is the second pin in from the right. Or at least, it is on mine....

Cheers
Chris G
Shows you how often I look under the bonnet on mine. I'd forgotten where it was. \:D/ :shock:

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.