Dr Leak-Paranoia writes:

BX Tech talk
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Dr Leak-Paranoia writes:

Post by Gareth Wales »

Everything now seems dry and serene following my recent PAS leak, but during the interesting time I have spent underneath the car I have discovered another potential leak point which I'd welcome advice and identification on.
Its at a single rubber-steelpipe junction just in front of the front sub-frame, and adjacent to the gear box.
The joint is secured with an unusual looking "jubilee" clamp - unusual in that instead of the coventional securing screw, there is a splitpin which tightens a thin steel band over a rubber "saddle". at the joint point.
Now what is this, and importantly, where does this high pressure rubber pipe terminate. I'd like to renew the whole pipe as it's at least 12 years old.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I think that may be the other end of the return line from the security valve you are describing there Gareth, the one you fixed under the nearside wheelarch, if I am correct then maybe relax a little, ts a thick bit of rubber, if not then perhaps a photo might help.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Thanks Stewart - will photograph it tomorrow.
Gareth
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

2007-01-07 001
[/img]
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Post by Ian_Fearn »

email them to me Gareth and i'll post them for you
Last edited by Ian_Fearn on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Over and out from me
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Image[/list]
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

The above picture shows an LHM lead (at the point of the jubilee clip - centre picture).
Has anyone any idea what this rubber/metal pipe is and where it terminates.
(The picture comes with grateful thanks to
Adam and Ian for help in the truest Club traditions in the aid and rescue of the bewlidered and obtuse.
Gareth :oops:
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

I of course meant LEAK not Lead - see wor I mean?
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

That looks like a repaired strut return pipe. I have not been under my BX for a while though.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I agree - strut return pipe.

If there is flow enough though the return for this repair to be leaking then the inner strut seals are on the the way out (by no means uncommon ) - though how may people on the forum have paid for a new set of front struts or inserts?
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Find an illustration of the "large" octopus to see how much pipework is missing (if any) - for the thicker rubber part of the pipe is part of that larger beastie.

From memory, I think most return pipe fitments in that area are push-fit.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I've had to replace both front struts through excessive leakage - in fact well worth doing as the improvement in ride is significant.

Both blew the return pipes off - and new return pipes wouldn't cure the leak. - so new struts - fortunately one at a time - although had I know the improvement the second one would make I'd have paid up for the second one originally.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

I have a spare strut if needed Gareth, Its from my old motor and was fine when removed.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Gareth Wales
BXpert

Post by Gareth Wales »

Stewart (oily!) wrote:That looks like a repaired strut return pipe. I have not been under my BX for a while though.
Stewart
spot on as usual Stewart. And also many thanks to all those who metaphorically held my hand - although being two miles from the nearest main road with a BX sitting there arse- flat on the ground like a naughty pup is a bit nerve-wracking. On Stuart's advice via Skype video conference (how uber smooth is that), I lifted the car incrementally by driving onto a brick, then two bricks and so on until I could jack and safety stand it and then effect a pretty simple repair (cut off split rubber).
Thinks I have learnt: Not to use crap market-stall jubilees which cut into rubber pipes; threading rubber over steel is much easier when youve used liberal amounts of brake cleaner; LHM Total total capacity is four litres (not 3.5L and to be daily thankful to Le Club
Gareth :lol: :lol: :lol: