Second cooling fan

BX Tech talk
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Had the Citroen 2nd fan fitment on a previous car that'd been a caravan tower (19TGD) - and seem to remember there wasn't a lot extra besides the 2nd fan and cowling. As for the additional wiring, that seemed a bit eccentric, but the whole plot worked.

A BX turbodiesel-style twin fan + associated wiring would also work as a straight swap unless the turbodiesel radiator caused a redisignof the cowling - the inputs and outputs aren't any different, as far as I remember.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I've been told in the past that the TD fans are bigger than 16 valve ones - This is probably no problem if you are handy at making mounting brackets.

If you don't mind the work - ZX and things may be a useful source.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

First port of call will be my Citroen breakers - they may have a twin fan set up from a 1.9D there. I'll see what turns up. Thanks for all the advice, peeps!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

jeremy wrote:I've been told in the past that the TD fans are bigger than 16 valve ones - This is probably no problem if you are handy at making mounting brackets.
SOME 16v's have a moulded twin fan housing within which the blades are smaller (but the motor is the same size).

The second lower mounting bracket to which Stuart refers arent on ALL BX's and it appears that my BX has had them welded on after the shell was made and painted (probably in the factory), but its relatively easy to make one up!

The standard BX wiring for the fans is a little bit crap to say the least, depending on a resistor which gets super heated and melting through cables you didnt quite get clipped back in, they only work when you have the ignition on (and there is plenty of convection going on when when the motor is stopped), and they don't incorporate relays so require extra heavy wiring which degrades very quickly!! So terrible is the wiring that those cars with aircon dont have it, and Peugeots of the same era (205,309,405) all dispenced with this setup at the start of the 90's!

So there is the solution, you want a twin fan setup then go find a late reg 205/309 or early 405. The wiring loom is totally stand alone, and with only a single modification will plug straight into the BX, it has stand alone high power relays, remote 30amp fusing for each fan and uses standard BX fans with the original connectors. Oh and 205's and 309's of the correct vintage have compatible fans!
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Excellent advice. Thanks
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v