Rear Suspension Strut Gaiter needed

BX Tech talk
Oscar
1K Away

Rear Suspension Strut Gaiter needed

Post by Oscar »

Hi guys

Adam wasn't able to get the gaiters off his BX before it was scrapped, so I'm back where I was 3 weeks ago - but the MoT is three weeks closer.

If anyone has a spare rear suspension strut gaiter (or even two) I'd be very happy to exchange for beer tokens.

The strut butts into the sphere, and is held in the rear arm with a split pin. The gaiter is secured with a spring clip at the sphere end, and is about 8 inches long.

I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Oscar

(Sorry for posting twice, but quite urgent to get this)
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Do you just need the gaiter? I've almost certainly got a couple, though I may not have the clip. Will need to dig tonight to find out exactly what I've got.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

The wire clip is very expensive, for what it is.
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I'd have thought a couple of wide ties could do the job in the short term, if fixed carefully. An airtight and secure seal is what's needed, so the gaiter stays in he right place with movement and fluid/air vent from the right places. The clip is normally well-corroded if it's been on a while - I've certainly busted a couple - or at least the screw/nut fixing - while trying to remove them.

No joy yet in finding them, though I'm positive I have at least two. My flat (and the car) are a bit well-packed parts-wise. I found a doseur valve the other day I had completely forgotten about....
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I probably need the clip too - I can't remember what state it's in, but it almost certainly the original, therefore rusted solid.

A decent jubilee clip/zip tie should do, shouldn't it? Or is the clip designed to allow fluid/air past at certain places?

I quite fancy an XM again.... :(
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"