New Member & Refurb Question

BX Tech talk
Mr_Womble

New Member & Refurb Question

Post by Mr_Womble »

Hi all,
Just joined and v. impressed with knowledge etc of folks here!

I'm just about to try and get a '92 1.9 petrol BX auto in use after it sitting in a garage unused for 6 years! It was well serviced before, and has under 100K on it. Apart from tyres, oil, new spheres? etc, what sort of things should I expect to have to sort? I think it's even got 6 year old petrol in the tank!

Thanks for any replies.

Mr_Womble.
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Welcome to the Club. I'm sure your request will have no shortage of replies!

But check:

Battery (of course!), plugs

Do not be rough with the heater controls - gently coax them at first. If stiff leave them alone until you can get some spray silicon onto the control parts (there was a thread about this somewhere)...

Check no rodents have been at work inside or out!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
M

Post by M »

Check brakes are functioning as they should - I would envisage the handbrake needing freeing off.

Bin the 6 year old petrol, drain the tank and drain everything as far as possible - put in fresh.

New Battery

New Plugs (for what they cost)

New Leads (will probably have deteriorated so budget for them)

Crank (and then some) to get the old petrol out of the injectors and hopefully it will burst into life in a cloud of smoke.

Then check over the suspension system - for peace of mind budget on all new spheres and also a LHM change (use Hydraflush) - however before you do this try and get the car up in the air on its highest setting ***NEVER GO UNDER AN UNSUPPORTED HYDROPNEUMATIC CITROEN - CARS CAN DROP SUDDENLY KILLING THE OWNER**** Check the pipes for any leaks, grease all the linkages - you may need a session or two of Citaerobics to free things up a bit.
Bleed through the callipers too (bewary of siezed nipples).

Check the bodywork and electrics that all is as it should be - and you should be well on your way to a useable design icon!
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

CAMBELT!!!!!!! it would have gone very hard with sitting.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

you may like to pull the air filter off and spray a little petrol in easy start style as you turn it over on a very good battery. If you can get it to start, work from there. If it rises, and it might, then buy service parts but don't spend money until you have the engine running!
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Just treat her like your first date..tenderly, gingerly and if you just sense she is saying no, just back off a little, don't push it too hard.....there is always tomorrow to seek and learn a little more about your loved one.

Disclaimer: If you are crap with wimmin and take the 'Stud' approach, I accept no responsibility...good luck 8)
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
Mr_Womble

Thanks

Post by Mr_Womble »

Thanks to all of you who replied; and Mr Bandit, what will my wife think now I've a French lady to court!!!!

Hmm, cambelt, yes I was wondering about that! Hard to say I'm sure, but is there any way I can check if it needs changing before I even try and start the engine, or if it will drive to the garage??? Any guide price of an independant doing that particular job?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You can reduce the chances of damage by looking at the cambelt carefully. Roatate the engine (not a bad idea anyway) with a cover off and look for damage, wear, corrosion on the idlers, oil contamination and teeth falling off.

When they break either the teeth drop off (happened to me on a Ford Cortina 2000) or they snap - either straight across or diagonally. If its going to snap there may be signes - eg cracks or fibres poking out.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Where abouts are you Mr Womble??
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

With cambelts dont take the chance, its far cheaper to replace than fit new valves and have a headskim as I found to my peril in November!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

tim leech wrote:it would have gone very hard with sitting.
Sorry, I know, I know, I'm a child, but seriousley, I'm dying here!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome along Mr. Womble, I'm guessing maybe from Wimbledon?? :lol: :lol:

As per everyone elses advice really, yeah, get the top cambelt cover, turn the engine over really carefully, will be easier with the spark plugs removed, and look at the belt all the way round. Eveb if it looks good, after 6 years and an unknown amount of time before that, throw it in the bin and fit another.
You'll need a ratchet and a 22mm socket for the crank bolt to wind the engine over.

After 6 years, even with the car being idle, dump the autobox oil and put fresh in, getting the level right is tricky so measure what comes out and replace with the same amount to start with, and whatever you do make sure you use Dexron II and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES Dexron III.

Good luck, and nice to have you on here!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...