Interior light delay debugging.

BX Tech talk
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Interior light delay debugging.

Post by tom »

The standard test is to short one of the door switches to earth but if that doesn't work, you'll have to sort out the black box which you won't be able to hear switching off because it is electronic and contains no relay.
I suspect it may be hidden under the centre console but it may be behind the dash!
The wiring goes into the box on a seven way connector. Pin 1 is unpopulated. Pin2 is the "off" trigger from the ignition switch. It goes to 12V and the lights go off.
Pin3 is the "off" trigger from the central locking. Lock car and the lights go off.
Pin4 is the "on" trigger from the four door switches. Ground any one and lights come on until door shuts and the delay elapses (unless door button pushed down or key turned).
Pin5 Output to lights. Pulls them to earth which is Pin6. Pin7 is the permanent live (12V).
If it fails to switch the liglts on, check 6 to bodyshell, should be short. 7 to battery+, ditto.
5 to open side of light switches on pillar. Ditto.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Was that a question or an observation? The unit is screwed into the back of the dash above the glove box on right hand drive cars, to my knowledge the Mk1's didn't have this function, or did they?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I would just like my interior lights to work in any fashion.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Mine are very weird, the passenger side works when you unlock or open any of the doors. but the drivers only whorks when you switch it on manually.

The open door warning light on the drivers door doesnt work and I have changed the bulb :shock:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Dud door switch or broken wiring into the door?
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Hmm dunno as when I open the drivers door the passenger interior light works!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Right then Tim, time to check the wiring in the light unit. try swopping the two wires on the bottom of the unit over, that may cure the light problem on the drivers side when the doors open.
As for the "door open warning" display, they are triggered by seperate switches that are in the lock mechanism itself, not the switch on the "A" pillar. Suspect broken wires between the door and "A" pillar...

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Both lights are in parallel. If you open the passenger door, the same thing will happen.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

Oh ah, hadn't thought of that!

Although if only one is working, and I know it sounds daft, but if you swop the two connectors on the bottom of the light unit it should cure it. Did on mine anyway! One connector has one wire and the other has two....

I'm no electrician by any stretch of the imagination but thats what I did on my valver and hey presto! Both lights working as some sweaty french bloke intended!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Ok doc, wearther permitting I have a few little jobs to do on the valver and thats one of them, will let you know how I get on!