Carb set up

BX Tech talk
OwenS
BXpert

Carb set up

Post by OwenS »

The fuel consumption on my BX14 seems on the high side. Im new to all this home maintenance, how do I find out if my carb is correctly set up? and also how do I adjust it? Or would this be better left to someone more competant mechanically...local garage, mobile tuner? Bit difficult to gauge actual fuel consumption as tripometer doesn't work.
2007 Sportka
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

DIY! dont be put off! Trip ometer is a semi easy fix! the little 'fork' under the reset button snaps, stopping a reset. it helps a lot if you FULLY depress the clutch before pressing the trip counter reset button (reduces the load to not a lot and stops the folks breaking!) i dont currently have a spare, but if i come across one they are pretty easy to fix!

As for fuel calibration, yours has a carb, first problem. I would advise finding throttle bodies off a 1.4 Citroen AX GT as this will provide stupid amounts of power and make calibrating much easier!

FWIW i believe the 1.4 carb has two main settings, one is the idle and the other fueling. The fueling screw is very obvious and near the throttle cable. In my experince they vibrate out screwing up iddling! There is another screw to adjust timing (well mixture) but i think you might have to refer to the Haynes for that! Do you know if you have the TU or the K type engine?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

I have a copy of the Haynes Carb manual with the original settings diagrams, and descriptions for the carbs fitted to both types of 14 engine. Get the engine identified and I'll scan the relevant section of the manual and send on to you.

If anyone else needs the relevant info for a carb-fed BX, I can do the same for them.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

Unless the carby on the 14 is a fairly refined competition model, it's doubtful there'll be any adjustments apart from idle mixture.
Things that can affect fuel consumption is float height, not usual unless someone's had it off and stuffed the calibration, but should be set at around 7mm +/- 2mm from memory, incorrect jet sizes, again a self inflicted woumd, dirty air filter cartridge, sticky auto choke if applicable, disconnecting the hose from the hotbox on the exhaust manifold, leaking air somewhere in the intake, crap in one of the jets causing the car to be have to be driven too hard to attain the necessary response. It can also be incorrect timing adjustment and binding brakes, so plenty to check over before you start.
Done systematically, not as big a job as it may appear and should give some pretty instant results once the fault is found.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.