Radiator, rear arm bearings and exhaust fitting

BX Tech talk
Kingswell
BXpert

Radiator, rear arm bearings and exhaust fitting

Post by Kingswell »

If I buy a Valeo radiator from a supplier, is it difficult to fit?
How about rear arm bearings if I buy them from GSF?
How about the exhaust?

These jobs don't seem that hard and if I do them myself I'll save a lot of money which I will happily use to have the valve stem seals replaced and the front struts rebuilt.
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Radiator and exhaust are quite easy to fit.

Rear arm bearings aren't too bad but you will need a fair amount of tools and equipment.
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

I was looking at the guide on this site and I think I can gather up the tools needed. I'm more worried about making a complete hash of it and having to take it to the mechanic :oops:
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Here's a tip to help with removing the rear arm bearings http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2760
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Exhaust and radiator are a doddle, rear arm bearings for people who know what there doing!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I've just done rear arm bearings. I'm not a mechanic but I had some help with the first one from my garage-owning mate. They are not difficult. Jon’s excellent instructions and Ellevie’s tip on this site will guide you through what you need to do. You may need to use a fair amount of welly to get bearing outers out. Just pay attention to the replacement order of the new parts. A great big vice to hold things will help.

Give yourself plenty of time and space – it’s not a job that you should take on when you need to have the car ready to pick up the mother-in-law at the busstop at 3pm.

On the exhaust, give yourself loads of room - get the car up as high as you can. No, higher than that. And make sure that it is rock solid and absolutely safe. You will be completely underneath the car and there will be a fair amount of grunting and pushing and pulling.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Kingswell wrote:I was looking at the guide on this site and I think I can gather up the tools needed. I'm more worried about making a complete hash of it and having to take it to the mechanic :oops:
Don't worry if you make a hash of it, it won't be mobile so you won't be able to take it to a mechanic :o

Just get me an air ticket and I'll come out and do it for you. :D
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

Ok a Ryan-air ticket will cost you 0.01 euros right? That is if you don't want food, luggage, bathroom facilities, windows, seats etc.....

:D
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
MULLEY
Over 2k
My Cars: 1999 Xsara LX 2.0HDI (90) Hatch - Fern
2002 C5 2.0 HDI (110) Estate - Jasmine - SORN
2011 Mini Cooper D Clubman - SOLD
2016 Mercedes A180D Sport - Auto refinement
1992 TZD Turbo - Bluebell - SORN
1992 TZD Turbo Estate - SORN
1991 Gti 16V - Blaze - crash damaged, will get repaired - SORN
1990 Gti 8Valve SOLD - looks like it's been scrapped
2002 Mini Cooper S - SOLD - i miss this car
1992 TXD - Scrapped in March 2014
1988 CX 25 GTI Turbo2 - SORN
1996 - AX Memphis 1.5D - Dream - SORN

Post by MULLEY »

How much are cheap flights to Malta?
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I dunno, but I think they've just gone up by £10.

Thank you Mr Brown. :twisted:
Kingswell
BXpert

Post by Kingswell »

I know that once I've installed the radiator there are two things I need to check.
I have to make sure that all the air is bled from the system and that the heater matrix is in the hot position.

How will I be sure that both these are fine once I've installed the replacement unit?
BX 14TGE
Peugeot 106XN
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Leave the heater control in the cabin set to "Hot". This leaves the gate between engine cooling and cabin heating systems open. Do this before you drain the system, to get all the old fluid out. Leave it open while you are filling the system again.

Use a header tank to ensure you fill the system properly. Identify your bleed points and open them before you start filling. As pure coolant, without bubbles, starts coming through, close them one by one. Your haynes manual should identify them for you. If you don't have a manual, someone on the site may be able to tell you where yours are.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"