Appeal for help with gearbox transplant!!

BX Tech talk
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Appeal for help with gearbox transplant!!

Post by ed4ferrets »

Some of you will be aware of my TXD gearbox situation from my posting on the GSF Citroen forum. I do have a spare gearbox still in my TGD, I do have a 35mm socket. I do not have a hoist (or too much ability). As this car was rescued after standing since 2002, no doubt the engine should come out as well for cambelt etc replacement. DLM advised me that help may be forthcoming from the BX club so this is my appeal to gentlemen in the geographical area of the Southwest/ Bristol :wink:
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Ed - I'd be glad to help out but have no hoist and only indirect experience of engine/gearbox removal. However, there is a hire company just round the corner who hire out hoists, so I'll investigate their rates.

I'll give you a call anyway in the next couple of days.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Thanks for replies chaps :D

Jon, Big Red is @ BS16 9BL Mangotsfield Bristol which is just off of the A4174, first exit from M32 as you come off M4. I reckon we should lift engine too as cambelt is an unknown factor due to long stand, also waterpump and oilseals, however will accept your better judgement on this :wink:

The donor car's engine has an almost new cambelt tensioner etc too which I'd like to scavenge.

By the way Bernie reckoned somewhere that the BXclub sticker was supposed to bring luck and longevity, I'd scarcely displayed it when this happened :?
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

By the way Bernie reckoned somewhere that the BXclub sticker was supposed to bring luck and longevity, I'd scarcely displayed it when this happened
Are you sure it wasn't Marty saying that before his BX bit back? Perhaps they are magically impregnated to know when a BX needs massed bxclub help....and then stick the boot in at the appropriate moment.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Think you're right about it being Marty!!

Need to call DLM urgently, can someone please PM his mobile number to me, I've gone and lost it!! :oops:
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Well the cavalry arrived a week ago today in the form of Jon Wood (website founder) with his faithful BX steed complete with massive crane and tools galore :D
Despite having the most appalling weather, no shelter and the filthiest engine/box ever, he worked throughout the day till the job was done. We were both soaked to the skin from early in the day due to constant rain :shock:
Whereas I have a certain amount of blubber to insulate me, Jon does not, he has a physique more suited to working on BX's and must have been frozen :roll:, I have determined though that he has survived the experience :wink:
Work done was donor gearbox removed, engine and gearbox removed and split, new clutch, new timing belt, new octupus, engine and donor gearbox replaced..... all in record time and against the odds, many thanks Jon!!
M

Post by M »

ed4ferrets wrote:Work done was donor gearbox removed, engine and gearbox removed and split, new clutch, new timing belt, new octupus, engine and donor gearbox replaced..... all in record time and against the odds, many thanks Jon!!
Yes I have to admit it has surprised me just how fast Jon and Dave work - what takes me the best part of a day to achieve with much swearing and throwing of tools seems to take this duo mere nano-seconds.

Confidence & experience no doubt.
ed4ferrets
BXpert

Post by ed4ferrets »

Oh yes Jon, mugs commemorating the day will be got to you somehow someday :lol:
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

The faster you work, the quicker the job gets done, the more time you get in the pub! :wink:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE