Speedo needle

BX Tech talk
Captain Fishfinger

Speedo needle

Post by Captain Fishfinger »

Is it a common fault for the speedo needle to chatter up to about 50 mph or is my cable damaged somewhere?
BX19 TXD
Also I have to shut off the top air vents on the dash to get air to come out in the footwell. Is that normal?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

BX speedos tend to wobble. Careful attention to the cable or even replacement may help.

I think Citroen heaters all suffer from these problems - our ZX which is in very good condition is much the same as the BX. Its worth checking all the flaps and linkages are still attached and working - and remember the fan switch turns off the flow altogether when turned fully anti-clockwise (you can feel the load on the switch as you rotate it.)
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Replace the speedocables (£20 the pair from GSF) and it will cure your speedo wobble, not a difficult job to do when you have the dashpod out, replace the obligitary dashbulbs whilst your at it.
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I've found that when I turn the selector control to the "footwell" position I have to close the upper vents and turn up the fan speed to get a noticeable warm draft onto my feet. It would be interesting to know what the flaps/linkages do when you move the control from "upper+footwell" to "footwell".

Mark.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Regarding needle wobble, they're not quite 'certain' those speedo's are they? :shock: as Jeremy siad it seems to be a BX trait, and as Tim suggested replacement would be a good way forward. Two things I would add...the routing of the upper cable behind the dash needs to be as 'smooth' as possible...so unless you have seen one in the correct routing, then poke out your eyes and fit them in your hands to see where the old cable went (assuming current cable is fitted properly)

Also, another member suggested making sure the square end of the cable is a nice fit in the speedo, pack it with some Ally foil if it's not a snug fit... any slack at this junction will certainly add to the wobble
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

Welcome Captain Fishfinger. I changed my cable but it wasn't enough to cure the problem. See http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3836 for details. Also do a search on "speedo" for loads of discussion on the problem.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
adamskibx
BXpert

Post by adamskibx »

Welcome Captainfishfinger. It is normal for the heaters to act like this. It makes you wonder why they dont just do without the air control and just let people shut off what they dont want in order to get whet they want in terms of face/feet etc. I suppose its got to at least seem user friendly. Its a bit of a weak point really, but I accept it as normal now as all my BX's have been the same.
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

There's a mod to do to the heater control PCB to make the fan run at "full tilt" when it's in the full tilt position (it doesn't as standard)... It involves soldering a wire link somewhere .... If I can did out the details I'll mod a PCB and send it to you , send me the old one back ... now where did I put the details of the mod???

This may help to blow some warm air around your feet

BTW has anyone any idea when winter is due this year ...
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

hhmm, well currentley the weather is broken!

Expect winter to start as soon as the weather is fixed, sometime in March maybe......

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

docchevron1472 wrote:hhmm, well currentley the weather is broken!

Expect winter to start as soon as the weather is fixed, sometime in March maybe......

Cheers
Chris G
At least I'm not adding to global warming quite as much now I've got my posh new carb :)
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

BTW has anyone any idea when winter is due this year ...
Well it finally left New Zealand two weeks ago so should be near you real soon :twisted:

Talking of Speedo Cables! This has got to be the first BX I have owned that did not have a Speedo twitch?

One thing I have noticed is that compared to my other car and a friends the measuring is out.

At 100kph I register 91 kph and the same applies to distance roughly 11% error. Heck I know thats a lot more than normal. Checked the tyres and they are 175/70 R14 instead of 175/65 R14.

Would some one with a tyre background know if this would be the cause?
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

If the heater speed control switch is working properly, as you approach the full speed clockwise position, you will hear a relay click as it switches out all the resistance.

If you don't hear this click, then the mod is required if you want max wind.

It is well worth checking the speedo against a GPS unit, then you know what speed you are really doing, (+- wobble mph).

Mike
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

It is well worth checking the speedo against a GPS unit, then you know what speed you are really doing
Why didnt I think of that :roll: I spend days working with a handheld GPS and never thought about using it in the Car. :oops:
Captain Fishfinger

Spedo

Post by Captain Fishfinger »

kiwi wrote:
It is well worth checking the speedo against a GPS unit, then you know what speed you are really doing
Why didnt I think of that :roll: I spend days working with a handheld GPS and never thought about using it in the Car. :oops:
I don't think it is legal in this country to drive holding a GPS in one hand! I drive ferries for days on end across the wet bumpy bits but we never go fast enough to get rid of the wobbley speedo!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

I am not in England and they have not banned Cellphones use in cars yet :wink:

Who needs to hold it? Just tape it to the dashboard or get a passenger to readout to you.