Veggie Oil?

BX Tech talk
Ian_Fearn
Spender lotta cash on Citroens

Veggie Oil?

Post by Ian_Fearn »

After the discussions of todays BXclub meet can somebody give me the links to these veggie oil sites?

I've found one site that appears to give me all the info i need.

Does anybody know if you have to pay to register with HM customs?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

There is a link on Andyspares Ian though I`ve had fun trying to download the form. However there is now a link on this forum for it with some useful help as how to fill it in. You DO need to register with Customs but (and it does get a bit confusing here) I don`t think you have to pay to register if you use `new` vegge oil. Vanny reckons you need to have a waste transfer licence if you make the fuel yourself from spent oil from restaraunts and I have no reason to doubt him. The latest news about the duty is a tad confusing but it appears if you use new vegge oil it`s the same duty as diesel, about 47p per litre where as used oil is approx. 22p per litre. However it`s now been told to one of our members (sorry, can`t remember who) that ALL vegge oil will be at full rate duty.
Hope this helps mate,
Vauxhall apologist.
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

Just checked on HM customs website and the duty is 0.2852pence per litre.

Thats still a damn good saving.

I've looked on a few websites now regarding this.

A lot of people 'appear' to be running 100% veggie oil but with some kind of heating element.

It would seem that in the heat of summer you could run 100% veggie oil with no heating but the winter would either require heating or mixing with diesel or whatever else you have lying around to thin down the oil.

Having seen an 80% veggie oil 20% diesel mix running today more than happily i reckon i'm going to give this a try.

The recommendation is the start with a small amount and increase it gradually.

I'm still not sure whether the practicalities of going to the supermarket and stocking up on veggie oil and filling in forms every month are sensible.

Got to be worth a crack though.

NOW: I WOULD NEVER EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS MYSELF BUT THE HM FORMS WOULD BE UNBELIEVABLY EASY TO FIDDLE WHILST STILL MAINTAINING A CERTAIN DEGREE OF LEGALITY IF YOU GOT STOPPED BY THE LAW.
Over and out from me
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I may have the 0.2852p per litre part wrong.

It would appear that this figure is for BioDiesel. Theres so much stuff kicking around about this and i'm assuming this is WASTE COOKING OIL and NOT new vegetable oil.

According to the HM customs website the duty on this would be classed as Heavy Oil which ISNT Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel.

This is the heaviest form of duty on diesel at 0.5487.

I think there may be another hole here as i'm not aware that the difference between re-claimed cooking oil and new cooking oil can be tested once its in your tank and mixed with normal diesel.

Please somebody correct me here? Presumably you would need a waste licence though?
Over and out from me
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

A lot of people 'appear' to be running 100% veggie oil but with some kind of heating element.

It would seem that in the heat of summer you could run 100% veggie oil with no heating but the winter would either require heating or mixing with diesel or whatever else you have lying around to thin down the oil.

Having seen an 80% veggie oil 20% diesel mix running today more than happily i reckon i'm going to give this a try.

The recommendation is the start with a small amount and increase it gradually.

I'm still not sure whether the practicalities of going to the supermarket and stocking up on veggie oil and filling in forms every month are sensible.

Got to be worth a crack though.

NOW: I WOULD NEVER EVEN CONSIDER DOING THIS MYSELF BUT THE HM FORMS WOULD BE UNBELIEVABLY EASY TO FIDDLE WHILST STILL MAINTAINING A CERTAIN DEGREE OF LEGALITY IF YOU GOT STOPPED BY THE LAW.[/quote]

A lot easier than arsing about mixing/straining your own biofuel though :wink:
As a VW owner you should be laughing though as the sites I`ve found reckon VW`s are made for this fuel.
I`m currently running around anywhere between 50-85 ish pc vege oil with no noticeable effects. Definately filling in the claim forms though for exactly the reasons you`ve mentioned. I would say though that you might be best finding out how to make your own biofuel as technically you need to be a producer of it and you might get checked.
Double check your car will be o.k though as apparantly with the BX one fuel pump (Bosch?) will run fine and the other won`t- I think it attacks the seals.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

My Lucas pump works ok on veg oil as Ian saw today, it has run on veg oil for about 2 years.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Ian_Fearn

Post by Ian_Fearn »

I'm actually going to contact HM customs and find out EXACTLY what i need to do then i'm going to give it a try.
Over and out from me
tonym

Post by tonym »

Hi Ian,

Further to todays meet, thought I'd stop-off at ASDA and bought 10 litres of sunflower oil at 47p/litre. Got home and dumped it in the trusty 'Umwelt' TD Passat, so its probably a 50/50 mix.

Took the car out on a 15 mile run and it really runs a treat. As was mentioned the motor seems to run smoother.
Black P2 16V, 82k