Cooling Seepage

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Cooling Seepage

Post by kiwi »

As I mentioned elsewhere my 1991 BX 19TRS I own out here in New Zealand is suffering a loss of Cooling Fluids.

It started after I flushed out the cooling system and put in 2 litres of Antifreeze because the previous Owner was from Auckland which does not get the hard frosts and icey conditions that a Winter near the mountains I work exposes you to.

First signs of a problem after taking it up to 1600m above sea level was a overflow of Green liquid which made my hart stop as I thought the LHM life blood was leaking out the Octopus :cry: It was not but antifreeze overflowing :roll:

When I got it home I noticed that from cold the lower corners of the Radiator were leaking this disappeared after the heat expanded the joints. Whats strange is the problem cured itself in a few days probably silting up? But I did start getting the low level light flashing on! This became annoying as most of the time it was a false alarm.

Replaced the switch which was badly corroded also put in some Rad Leak!

Now this is the part thats bugging me! Sometimes the water level after a long Journey 150 miles the coolant level is fine but if I kick in the Air Conditioning even for a short time then I lose water somewhere?

Checked the Radiator for cool spots and could find nothing.

The local garage said to me it could be signs of early Head Gasket failure :cry: I hope not been there before and thats the death nail.

after thoughtCould the Thermostat be clogged or faulty?
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

How good/bad/old is the radiator cap?

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Rad Leak! EEk yes it will stop the leak but will help bung up your cooling system!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

AlanS wrote:How good/bad/old is the radiator cap?

Alan S
It looks in good shape the mechanic said it was in good shape but I think thats the next thing to replace.

Yea Tim I know :) I am taking a monster gamble puting that stuff, its not like the UK type Holts stuff. Seems to be a bit thinner in quality.
But when BX parts are as scarce as a decent packet of crisps in these parts I am willing to take a gamble.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Dont GSF send world worldwide?.

www.gsfcarparts.com
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The problem is that a BX, like most modern vehicles has a crossflow radiator. Older vehicles had the thing turned through 90 degrees - so that the flow was top to bottom and the tanks were at the top and bottom. With a tank at the bottom any sludge could collect there out of harm's way and the thing functioned properly.

Turned on its side the sludge still collects at the bottom - but immediately blocks the tubes. Loosing a few makes little difference but eventually you loose one too many and under stress it won't cope.

You may be able to clear the sludge by flushing but if its solid in the middle of a 400mm long thin tube you aren't going to get it out!
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Thanks for that link Tim :D I currently deal with Gary Keith Motors in Hamilton NZ, Its a three hour drive to talk to someone up there so most of my diagnostics is done myself.

You guys are a wealth of information that makes it so much easier 8)

I think I may have found a donor car only problem is its 3 hours drive away assuming its drivable? Other wise I may have to get a Trailer and the Only monster available to pull the Trailer with that weight is the BX.

Another question this anyone ever pulled a BX on a Trailer with another BX19TZS? As its a hilly drive I am hoping the donor car will at least move far enough that I can avoid a hill lug.
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

I've pulled an 8 tonne bus with a BX 19RD....
Got a bit warm and it struggled but it did it, only on the flat though...

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

docchevron1472 wrote:I've pulled an 8 tonne bus with a BX 19RD....
Got a bit warm and it struggled but it did it, only on the flat though...

Cheers
Chris G
Thats what I figured :lol: as i think about this some of the hilss I would be going up are pretty step. Considering it mostly up from Sea Level to 1000m over 90km I might give this idea a miss.

Might try to old AA call out trick assuming it goes for a short distance, should be able to sus it out before I hit the no cellphone coverage remote stretch.

Meantime back to the cooling system!

Thanks to the link from Tim I think it may pay me to get a radiator shipped from the UK. Considering I got offered a second hand one for $200 kiwi (70 squid) and a new one from France for $600 those prices are way better.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

AlanS wrote:How good/bad/old is the radiator cap?

Alan S
I know I said we thought it was in good shape but for $14 I changed it anyways. Did a Highish speed run up a mountain today and (80km round trip) and no water lost.

Next time will try it with Aircon see if that makes a differance passes that test then I am going to flush crap in the system and see if I can find the other radiator leak unless it was related?

Keep you updated.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Well that sort of confirms it! The Aircon does aid to the loss of water but not as bad as before I put the new cap on. I just am going to live with it a treat the car with the respect it deserves.
Typical though Donor cars have vanished :roll: