Boot lid fitment

BX Tech talk
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Boot lid fitment

Post by BX Bandit »

Have fitted the Hurricane Boot lid I got at the weekend today but the fit isn't so good at the hinge/roof area. The n/s seems to far back ( large gap) and the o/s fits to high.

The previous boot (from a scrappy) fitted high and gappy both sides.
The original boot was a great fit. Am I missing some way of adjustment to get a good fit? I used the 16v as a guide so I know it's fitted properly. Lock and clasp have also been adjusted.

Any ideas?
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
bernie
Likes welding rusty Fiats.

Re: Boot lid fitment

Post by bernie »

BX Bandit wrote:Have fitted the Hurricane Boot lid I got at the weekend today but the fit isn't so good at the hinge/roof area. The n/s seems to far back ( large gap) and the o/s fits to high.

The previous boot (from a scrappy) fitted high and gappy both sides.
The original boot was a great fit. Am I missing some way of adjustment to get a good fit? I used the 16v as a guide so I know it's fitted properly. Lock and clasp have also been adjusted.

Any ideas?
It fitted OK in the Xantia :wink:
Just the 0 BX
1 TZD Turbo a/c going going GONE
1 TD Hurricane being broken up for spares
3 FIAT 124 Sports!!!
1 FIAT 124 Spider ex. California
Oh and I nearly forgot
A LOVELY XANTIA HDI EXCLUSIVE ESTATE
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

If you struglle I have a 16v tailgate in grey which is free to anyone if they want it.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

It did fit well on the Xanty!! Thanks Bernie :shock: :wink: :lol: I'm more amazed by the variation in size/dimensions of BX tailgates! So I'm convinced I'm missing something :? It still looks better than the previous one. I'm wondering if a bit or pursuasion with the metal bracket welded to the roof section may be in order :?:
1990 BX TGD White
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

If you struglle I have a 16v tailgate in grey which is free to anyone if they want it
i have a silver one
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

The way to make it fit is to use one of Billy's "special hammers", nope, I'm not kidding, it's a bit trial and error, and FFS dont hit the hatch itself, but the only way to get a decent fit if it doesn't go straight on and look perfect is to fettle the hinges on the car (ie, the poxy bits of tin welded to the car).

Bon chance my friend, it can drive you mad, thats why my TD still looks crap at the back.... :roll:

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

Mmmm :-k :-k hammer eh? Oddly enough, They already look like they've been butchered and levered about...just wondering if that was the factory setting technique too! It's ok, but one side is 5mm too high to it will bug me to sh1te if I don't try and fix it. I was considering some sort of...(snigger snigger) eccentric bush but the hammer option sounds easier, quicker and more fun..so no bush for me then :lol:

As you say, it's only two bits of 'tin' stuck on with bluetak!! Thanks Doc. Will look ace when it's all painted up :wink:
1990 BX TGD White
charlie
BXpert

Post by charlie »

Mmmm hammer eh? ..... Will look ace when it's all painted up
hammerite i presume :roll:

but....

if that means youve got a spare set of tail gate struts give us shout cause i need a working pair...
yes.....
the colour is....
guiness white..........
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I do have a set...yours if you want them mate...fresh off the press...but they are the weeker set...300 kn force I think!!

Hammerite my arse! Red oxide is good enough for me dude!!
1990 BX TGD White
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

BX Bandit wrote:I do have a set...yours if you want them mate...fresh off the press...but they are the weeker set...300 kn force I think!!

Hammerite my arse! Red oxide is good enough for me dude!!

I can think of better ways of wasting 200 litres of paint :lol:

BTW, will extra care not be needed when `adjusting` the welded brackets with a Billy stick? I seem to recall these are a bit weak?
Vauxhall apologist.
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

I can think of better ways of wasting 200 litres of paint
What you tryin' to say bitch?
BTW, will extra care not be needed when `adjusting` the welded brackets with a Billy stick? I seem to recall these are a bit weak?
You are NOT to come near either of my cars with your Billy Stick.....er.....or a hammer....My bumper sticker reads....

'Adjustment to be carried out by qualified personnel only.....'

'......Billy to remain within range of cheap car (e.g.anything Vauxhall, incase of violent exchange...)'
1990 BX TGD White
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit

Post by BX Bandit »

tim leech wrote:If you struglle I have a 16v tailgate in grey which is free to anyone if they want it.
Thanks for the offer Tim...I'll have a go with Billys Tool :shock: and bend the brackets in my favour.....
1990 BX TGD White
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

I remember watching a film of the 2CV factory in Paris when I was a kid... I have vivid memories of a bloke wearing a "special" boot kicking the bonnetts so they fitted ... or was it just a dream ....
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500