Miles per gallon

BX Tech talk
Doz
BXpert

Miles per gallon

Post by Doz »

Hi all,

I'm getting about 280miles to a tank on the 16TXS ... seems a might steep to me (I'm no racing driver)

what are you folks getting ???

Diesel owners about to make me sick !!!
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Very sick indeed actually.

Last tankfull on the DTR Turbo was 60 litres exactly, from which I had 638 miles.

Works out at slightly over 48Mpg. And I don't drive slowly or gently.

280 miles on a tank seems very heavy indeed, but then you do have a smaller fuel tank to my DTR. I believe yours is 52litres total capacity, which if you use most of (say about 45 litres) is about 28mpg.

About right for an automatic used around town I guess.
this might be a signature
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

280 is a bit week, but as I've said before on my own experience the 16's are thirsty.

Most I've ever done in the 16v was 420 miles on a tank (gotta remember they have two tanks like TD's though). Worked out 38mpg I think, it was a long run up north and back.

The estate did about 560 recently. Thats got the smaller tank, worked out about 53mpg IIRC.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
M

Post by M »

Never got less than 52 mpg with the TXD - except that time I drove it all week with a sticky calliper :oops:
Metrover is sh1t3 and does 35 mpg
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

I'm getting low to mid forties around town with the TXD and I would have expected better - I'm not driving it hard but there is a fair amount of stop/start and sub 5 mile trips.

Best on a trip was 52 mpg. Doesn't sound right to me - with all these stories of people getting 58 to 60 mpg out of theirs!

It idles at 1000 rpm - is that going to be a problem (or do all 1.9 n/a diesels idle at that speed? - This is my first, you see)... :D
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

It should idle around 850rpm.

Fuel economy is REALLY variable.
IE, how many pumps have not been "tinkered" with?

Any fair condition diesel engine can be made to achieve very good mpg. It's all about compromise between grunt / economy.

It takes some fettling to get the best of both..

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

In the same way that fuel consumption on a petrol engine is massively dependent on jetting/injectors and correct ignition timing, the fuel consumption on a diesel is massively dependent on injection timing.

Even just a fraction out, and fuel consumption can be awful. The ONLY way to check it is to DTI measure the injection pump. I did this with my 1.9TD 405 and changed the average fuel consumption from high 30's (rubbish) to mid-high 40's (better)

Because of this, I now DTI the injection pump when I change a cambelt. It's amazing how much the timing can be out when you change the belt.
this might be a signature
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

You're not wrong! changing a belt can knock things way out of tolerance.

Cheers
Chris G

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Firstly who still converts Litres to gallons? To give them a MPG figure? Since I learnt to dive I started using Miles Per litre which I got told was wrong should 100miles to the litre?

Anyways now I got a worst calculation to convert to MPG and that is Litres per Km then convert kilometres to Miles and then litres to gallons. Amazing how a digit in the wroong place makes things look :lol:

Ok back to topic since I got my 19TRS I have been keeping track on my fuel costs. Simply because it uses a more expensive octance Fuel and bigger engine that my Korean Vauxhal Astra rip off Auto 1.5l.

I dont get caught in traffic living 20km from the nearest town and 75 to work 98% traveling at 100kph. My Fuel figure has averaged around 9.5 kpl converted thats about 27MPG (5.94kpl @ 1.6k to mile)

66 litre fuel tank 393 miles?

I dont think thats very good factoring in a known speedo error of 11% and probably result of cooler and altitude driving?
thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
i thought that the 16v is supposed to idle at 850 and the diesels at 900? or am i wrong?

rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Diesels should idle about 800/850 rpm.

Valvers should idle at 850 rpm, controlled by ecu, although adjustment is possible, although with the demise of leaded furl most seem to idle around the 900/1000rpm area....

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

My 16v does about 20-25mpg so count yourself lucky! :D
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Thats bad tim! Mine'll do high twenties crawling in traffic to work most days.
On a run, mid / high thirties, I once got 42 out of her!! :D

Me thinks your east needs fettling!

Cheers
Chris G

tim leech

Post by tim leech »

I have a on/off throttles and normally do short runs!

I think it needs a good shake down as it dont seem to pull that well these days, will be better when I get my new front pipe.
docchevron

Post by docchevron »

Clearly in need of a Billy style "italian tune up" then :lol:

Cheers
Chris G