Linkage, Tests & Remedies?

BX Tech talk
Way2go
Over 2k

Linkage, Tests & Remedies?

Post by Way2go »

How to test the front height corrector linkage would be welcome information. Although sprayed with Lithium Grease, it does not seem to be working correctly from start-up as the car rises at the back but not at the front, although it will do when set to intermediate. (No groans or bangs in evidence)

What should I look at ? What should I do? Are there more areas to grease, maybe step by step instructions from those of you that have trodden this path before will help me get to the bottom of this? :?: :?
1991 BX19GTi Auto
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Hmm, mine does this sometimes too - the front rises but not to full height. Recently it did this when I was moving it onto the drive from being parked on the road. The front of the car hit the edge of the drive ramp with quite a jolt! So I got out with the engine still running and pressed down on the bonnet - the suspension was not far from the stops! But when I put the car on high and let it down again, it sank back to the correct height.

I was thinking linkage, but could be sticky struts?

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Have you managed to get oil or grease right up into the rod or arm which actually goes into the corrector. Not easy - took me several tries to get it right.

If not the thing needs overhauling or replacing.
Way2go
Over 2k

Post by Way2go »

Mark - struts seem OK, really believe this is down to linkage but can't see how to "waggle" anything to free it up without disconnection and associated problems.
jeremy wrote:Have you managed to get oil or grease right up into the rod or arm which actually goes into the corrector. Not easy - took me several tries to get it right.

If not the thing needs overhauling or replacing.
Jeremy, the height corrector was replaced 3 years ago by Cit Indy so is hopefully still OK. Perhaps the grease hasn't lubricated as good as it should. Should I use the spray 3M Penetrating Oil on the back of the height corrector to see if that improves it's movement from rest? What other effects will be noticeable if this rod is sticking? :? :?:
1991 BX19GTi Auto
Jaba
1K Away
My Cars: BX GTi, C3 Auto

Post by Jaba »

Have you ensured that the gap at the adjustment bracket on the front end of the height control rod is actually 4mm when the car is at the correct height ?? i.e You have not reduced the front end height - I know the BX looks more cool when lowered a bit but it can give rise to the problem you are having.

You could try reducing the gap if it is ok to give the HC a bit more welly when the car has settled overnight.
The Joy of BX with just one Citroën BX to my name now. Will I sing Bye Bye to my GTI or will it be Till death us do part.