Speedo cable gone again

BX Tech talk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Speedo cable gone again

Post by pinfold »

Over christmas amongst other jobs i decided to fix my broken speedo cable.

It was great for a week, no wobble on speedo head , but then started to wobble, to the point that it has broken again.

I imagine judging by the amount of wobble that it has gone where the cable is compressed to a suare profile and inserts into the drive shaft.

This was how it was broken iniatially.

I am amazed it has gone so quickly!

I checked the speedo head at the time and it was working freely so just dont know what has caused it!

any suggestions boys and girls. :roll:
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

I suppose it has to be either a poorly made cable or dodgy routing, some RHD cables pass through the bulkhead on the nearside and cross the car inside to the speedo head, earlier ones cross behind the engine and go through the bulkhead on the offside, are there different part numbers/lengths?
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I changed my cable but it wasn't enough to cure the problem. See http://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3836 for details
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Oddly, a similar thing happened to me a few years back...I put it down to either a dodgy cable or more likely poor cable routing from me...
The replacment worked when it felt like it but I traced the fault to the connection between the upper and lower cables....not a problem with my aptitude you understand :shock: :oops: but seemed to be a pedantic joint for some reason...been ok for a few years now :lol:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue