lh driveshaft question

BX Tech talk
pikey

lh driveshaft question

Post by pikey »

hey all
just a quick question from a long time lurker

the lh driveshaft on my tgd turbo is on the way out, wilst searching all the usual suspect for a replacement i noticed that ecp have an abs spec one for £35, can i fit this (easily :wink: ) to my non abs car or does a world of pain ensue

cheers
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

The ABS shaft will fit a non ABS car without a problem. sounds a good price too.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

The only difference between the two is the ABS sensor ring on the outer CV, as Stewart says they will fit as I have done this in the past. That is uber cheap too :shock:
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
pikey

Post by pikey »

fantastic, the price does seem good as all other variations are in the £70ish region, they have a £25 surcharge as well but thats fine by me. hopefully its not a stock glitch

cheers
BX Bandit
Backslash Bandit
My Cars: Cars

Post by BX Bandit »

Just checked GSF as I did mine about a year ago or so...was about £25 + VAT...........it's now double that!!!!!! :roll: WTF? :shock:
1990 BX 16V Platinum Grey
1990 BX TGD White
1960 Morris Minor Clarondon Grey
1971 Triumph 2000 Auto Valencia Blue
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Trouble is that neither ECP nor GSF can supply one. I've been trying for months to get a new one and even El Presidente has had no luck.
Barnsley BXer
1K Away

Post by Barnsley BXer »

Have you tried AEP in Glasgow?
1990 GTI 4x4
1992 TZD
Dear Drooper............................
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Tom - a while ago (like 4 years) I got a recon LH driveshaft from Kimber Friction (which are now in Bond Street - not a million miles from Freeborn) Cant remember the make now. - Thye may still do them.

Presumably its the ABS ring that stops us getting for example a Peugeot shaft and changing the joints over and using our original and hopefully straight shaft. The problem here is presumably that Peugeots use a coarser ring for a different ABS system.

I may have got it wrong - as I haven't had a great deal to do with the drive shafts - but do know that the outer one comes off with a sharp tap with a (copper of course) hammer. Presumably the inner one does the same.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

I know Kimbers; good folk. I have been considering using a non abs shaft and changing the old CV over but I hope it will not come to that.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

jeremy wrote:Presumably its the ABS ring that stops us getting for example a Peugeot shaft and changing the joints over and using our original and hopefully straight shaft. The problem here is presumably that Peugeots use a coarser ring for a different ABS system.
Peugeot use 2 different types of ABS shaft. There's the fine tooth and the coarse tooth. One is for Bendix ABS, the other for Bosch (although I can't remember which way round they are.)

Last time I checked, 306 and ZX shafts are identical length, but I don't know if any Peugeot model has the same length shaft as the BX. I believe that 405 shafts are longer.

Also, There are various sizes and types of joint on Peugeot shafts. I've broken 4 405's now, and every single one has different driveshafts. Some are interchangeable. Some are not.
this might be a signature