Red herring panel light

BX Tech talk
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

mnde wrote: I've vaguely heard about this black box behind the headlamp that has something to do with dim-dip... but does it do anything else?
Right, no, the black box ONLY controls the low water level light.
The Dim-Dip canister is a silver canister that sits on the front panel behind the bumper, on cars with only one cooling fan theres a canister on the other side of the front panel that controls the slow running of the fan. They look identical but do very different things!

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Having worked around snow for a while, I can tell you some weird things tend to happen to Vhiecles :?

My mates brand New Skoda got so slushed up on a drive home when he stopped in the petrol station it died and lit up like a christmas tree. Few minutes later started no problem and he has never found out he cause. Other than it was one of the worst snow storm of the winter to hit :wink:

It does sound like a short in one of the connections caused probably by the salt used on UK roads combined with the slushy conditions.

Just throw this one in have you physically checked the Thermostat? Possible it is stuck giving those readings?
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I just thought I'd mention that my reversing lights are also not working... as I found out last night they are on the Fuse #1 circuit as well as all the coolant/fan temp gubbins. Fuse looks fine and the bulbs too.

Mark.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Your reversing light switch connection has probably fallen off the gearbox then. get under the bonnet and have a look for a lead with a two-spade plug connection at the end of it, floating about underneath the air intake pipes. Plug it back in to the plug on the top of the gearbox - problem solved.

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

Sorry Oscar I forgot to say: the reversing light connection is definitely all connected up. I checked it at the weekend when I had all the airbox/carb heater hoses out of the way. Next thing I'm going to check (again) are the earths behind the light clusters and the earth strap between the gearbox and the battery clamp.

Regards,

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Earth strap to battery clamp is unlikely to be at fault if the starter works!
docchevron
The Immoderate half of the admin team

Post by docchevron »

More likely the switch has failed then. Easy to change, easy to check, pull the plug off and bridge it out, if the lights come on, viola, you need a new switch, about £3 from cit.

Cheers
Chris G
Smokes lots, because enough's enough already!

Far too many BX's, a bus, an ambulance a few trucks, not enough time and never enough cash...