Spare wheel cradle

BX Tech talk
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Spare wheel cradle

Post by mnde »

When I had my puncture, I dropped down the spare wheel cradle in a hurry and managed to completely unscrew the raising/lowering bolt from the hook like a right numpty :oops:

When I tried to screw the hook back on it became stuck or cross-threaded on the end of the thread and I can't shift it ](*,)

So at the moment the cradle is empty (spare in boot) and balanced on the hook.

Suggestions?? I'm thinking saw through the bolt and get a new one...... :evil:

Mark.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Couple of mates with big spanners to get it off.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

WD40, pair olf mole grips and a 19mm spanner!
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

Tim, you're a genius!! Ring spanner on the bolt head, turn it until the other end of the spanner contacts the edge of the boot floor, apply lots of WD40 and welly to the hook end... I'll try it tomorrow!! Failing that I'll get someone to stand on the spanner in the boot while I twist the hook part.

Thanks,

Mark.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

How do you think I know how to do it! :oops:
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

:lol: OK I won't ask...

Mark.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Something you only do once :oops:
Doz
BXpert

Post by Doz »

how about "flattening" the end of the bolt with a hammer once it's all repaired. That way, the hook won't come off .... guess who lost his on the A40 in the dark (yes, it was raining) :oops:
Doz

2007 Citroen C1 (it's not a real Citroen)(With a complete set of wheel trims)
2006 C4 1.6VTR+ (Alloys no wheel trims)
1982 Mini HL (No wheel trims, no wheels)
1993 Kawasaki GPZ500
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

And assuming you get it back on ok (i.e the bolt isn`t too twisted) don`t forget to put plenty of copper grease on it so it`s easier to remove in future should you need to :wink:
Vauxhall apologist.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

and while your fiddling consider getting a replacement 'hook' bit of a pug 306 which has a much taller hook section so that cunning thieves cant simply let the tyre down and push the whole cradle up and off the hook and wander of with your (probably not) brand new tyre!

Alternatively always park in 'low'
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Be careful when putting a mole wrench on the threaded bit. If you put it on too tight you may crush it and make it grip the threads all the harder. - Easy to do - but rather counter-productive!
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Vanny wrote:.. so that cunning thieves cant simply let the tyre down and push the whole cradle up and off the hook and wander of with your (probably not) brand new tyre.
Surely if the clamp is done up fully, with the bolt thread hard up against the cradle in the hook, then the wheel is secure.......
this might be a signature
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

Vanny wrote:and while your fiddling consider getting a replacement 'hook' bit of a pug 306 which has a much taller hook section so that cunning thieves cant simply let the tyre down and push the whole cradle up and off the hook and wander of with your (probably not) brand new tyre!

Alternatively always park in 'low'
Letting the tyre down (or even in some cases using a hammer and wedge to break the bead) gives them enough room to get the cradle the 15mm or so high to get the cradle out of the hook and then wander away with the tyre! Remembering also most people carry the jack in the upturned spare wheel (as in was designed) and thus the valve is quite easily accessible. It was enough of a problem in the late 90's that PSA saw fit to significantly modify the hook design!
mnde
Meteor Man

Post by mnde »

cavmad wrote:And assuming you get it back on ok (i.e the bolt isn`t too twisted) don`t forget to put plenty of copper grease on it so it`s easier to remove in future should you need to :wink:
Ages ago I greased up the thread with LM grease and wound it up and down several times. Hence when I had the new front tyres (Uniroyals) fitted after the puncture incident, and I wanted the old spare back in the cradle, Mr National Tyre Man wasn't happy during his halfhearted attempt to shift it when he got mucky grease all over his nice clean latex gloves (!), said "well, if it's stuck I can't do anything" and WALKED OFF :evil:

My girlfriend said she saw him mouth something to the reception guy on his way through to the backroom too. Jobsworth.

I'm pretty sure I crossthreaded it, but haven't had a chance to look at it due to another problem with the car (another story).

Cheers,

Mark.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Probably a good thing Mark. When I worked for a couple of tyre firms it was a nightmare trying to undo these bolts from where some ham-fisted turnip had done them up with a buzz gun at a tyre house somewhere :evil:
Vauxhall apologist.