Bonded windscreens

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Bonded windscreens

Post by sleepy0905 »

Well i have just bought the correct equipment for removing bonded screens as I am going to get a new screen for the AX from the scrappers after it sustained a 4" crack on the N/S Lower edge so does anyone have any experience for doing bonded screens I have enquired about the required adhesive and i can either get the one that uses a primer for the body and a primer for the glass and comes as a kit with all the primers and swabs + Adhesive or the other product which is used aparently is called Tigerseal and is made by U-Pol. :?:
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

I've done a couple using Sikaflex, just make sure the joint is clean. This stuff is amazing, it repels water. :shock:
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

do you know what 'grade' of sikaflex ken? There seems to be about 4000 different variations for jobs from sticking floor board down to filling gaps between floor board and sticking body kits on, last tube i bought was white and didnt finish with that rubber feel that the windowbond/body kit glue seems to have.
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Hi Sleepy.

Interested in the design of your unit/s.

Could you possibly post some pictures of them, or describe the construction with words.

Cheers
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Here in Wakefield we have an excellent autocomponent retailer, they just asked me what is was for and supplied me accordingly.

Thick black stuff, works best if heated first. Then clean off excess with thinners.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Here are the tools i purchased the wire saw was off ebay for £2.50 and the draper tool was from Portland tools in Lincoln for £7.68 and replacement blades at £2.50.

I removed the screen from an old BX hatch i had today and i can say it is bloody hard work on the arms even with the correct tool but i couldnt of done it without it what you do is push the point of the right angle blade in to the sealer at one corner then you pull the blade along the sealer using the handle of the tool to steer and guide the blade and the T handle to pull like a goodun on and hey presto the sealer is cut and the screen is out without breaking it especially as i practised on a Splintex screen not a laminated so it was even more crusial to get it right as one wrong move and you have a thousand little cubes.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Hard work it is, on your own. Try heating the blade up first, it helps :wink:
Brian
BXpert

Post by Brian »

Thanks for the pics Sleepy...

I tried to remove a windscreen in the past as a challenge, from an old BX.

Started using a scalpel, this was too flimsy, I then sharpened up a length of an old hacksaw blade, and wraped some cloth around it as a handle, holding it tight against the glass, and cutting in one direction, progressed around 3/4 of the screed, then "crack"...

If I had a helper to gently apply pressure from the inside, I am sure it would have come out intact.

I have heard of other methods, for instance using a length of welding wire, with volts from a 12v battery applied to it, but never tried that method.

Best of luck using those tools..
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

the length of welding wire and battery works well on the plastic panels on the bx I tried it in a scrappers on a rear quarter panel and it came away very easy.
cauchoiskev
BXpert

Post by cauchoiskev »

ken newbold wrote:Hard work it is, on your own.
Yeah, hard work indeed. I've taken out three BX screens on my own with a bicycle brake cable. My advice would be : make friends.