Rocker gasket BX 1.9 diesel..

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Rocker gasket BX 1.9 diesel..

Post by cavmad » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:25 pm

..I`m going to have a go at the rocker gasket on my 1.9 diesel. It`s about time I started on some of the improvements/repairs that need doing and I need to get my confidence back after my recent lash ups. I have got the manual for the car but anything I need to know before I start please? The large black airbox type thing on top of the engine looks slightly fiddly to remove and LOOKS like it will be the only big obstacle. However any advice/hints/tips gratefully received. Thanks in advance,
Vauxhall apologist.

ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:33 pm

I asume that you have oil leaks by your wanting to fit a new gasket? before you start, check the three bolts securing the valve/rocker cover as they often work loose and no one thinks to tighten them because they're out of sight.
Could save you a gasket. :)
They think it's all over, it is now!

Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:51 pm

Airbox is easy to remove. 4 or 5 bolts secure it to the manifold and 2 allen bolts on the front corners. Remove all these, remove the tube from the air filter and remove the breather pipe. The whole lot will lift off. It seals in the manifold with O-rings; make sure these are still in good order. Seal up the exposed manifold lest you drop a rocker cover bolt in and spoil your day........... :roll:

Rocker cover. 3 bolts and a breather pipe to remove, lift off the cover.

Nothing needs to be hit with a hammer and a big blunt screwdriver, if it does, you are doing it wrong :twisted:

When you refit the manifold, give the O-rings a wipe of grease, it helps.
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE

sleepy0905
1K Away
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:12 pm

make sure the rocker cover hasnt been over tightened and destorted mine was and it took me 4 years to cure the leak I ended up replacing the rocker cover which has now stopped mine leaking. :(
2014 Citroen C4 1.6 eHDI Selection Special edition 115Bhp

cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 pm

Thankyou once again gents I`ll have a go at it, hopefully tomorrow. I`m sorely tempted by the cheap Xantia I`ve found if I can be convinced that the engine is o.k and then have the motor fitted to the estate as I need to get the power steering sorted out.
Vauxhall apologist.

Vanny
Merseyside resident
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2

Post by Vanny » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:43 pm

piece of piss job, but go buy the magic glue or it will still leak! If you havent already bought the gasket then wait till wednesday and you can visit the parts den and have one for free! totally agree with the overtightening realisation!