Red light of doom...?

BX Tech talk
wannab-x
Confirmed BX'er

Red light of doom...?

Post by wannab-x »

Morning. For the last couple of days, the red STOP light has stayed on once the car is running, along with what I presume is the radiator light. It's taking longer for the lights to turn off when the car moves - yesterday they went off as soon as the car went forward, today it took a little longer.

Would this be a low coolant level warning?

If it is, what can I use to check the coolant level (there isn't a dipstick inside the radiator cap, as the Haynes manual suggests), and is there a specific type of coolant I need to put in?

Thanks. :)
M

Post by M »

Depending on car you will either have an expansion tank at the side of the Rad, usually a clear plastic one with min and max markings on the side (not always easy to see the fluid level) or a separate expansion tank with a similar set of markings on it - fill with a glycol based antifreeze up to the maximum mark.
Check your systyem for obvious leaks once up to pressure. Check the oil filler / dipstick for "mayonaise" which is indicative of possible head failiure - which will also acount for any coolant loss.

Its worth checking your other fluid levels at the same time and then weekly thereafter - dont make the mistake I did and knacker a perfectly good NA diesel engine for want of a bit of oil....
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Hang about Marty is sounding like the voice of doom.

I have had the same problems with my BX recently that I posted here. I assume we are talking BX when we mention Red STOP light?

Forget who to credit this to but the expansion tank on a BX is built into the radiator where you fill it from. If your unsure of how much water your using try using a old plastic bottle of known size and working out from full how much your topping up with? More than a litre and thats a problem.

Replace the Radiator Cap that seems too have cured my evils although I did find a Rad leaks before hand I used Rad Seal on (not wise to add that gunk unless desperate).

Only time I seem to use water now is after running the Air Conditioning Unit (which you most likely aint got in a British Version :wink: ) This after checking with a few none BX users with Air Con is apparently quite common. Roll on the winter away from this sticky heat 8)

If you topping with just a third of a litre that will most likey be caused by water expansion so nothing to worry about. Then its proably the sensor.
thats the little black think halfway down the Radiator tube. Needs a twist to remove. It could be the old fashion float type or just two prongs?

Replace it if there is signs of corrosion or even if its a float they stick hence now two prongs.
wannab-x
Confirmed BX'er

Post by wannab-x »

Hello again. I added some water/antifreeze, and now no lights on. So that's a result.

I put in 1 and a bit plastic cups of water, and about the same of antifreeze (about 50/50 mix as recommended on the bottle), so that doesn't seem too much.

Will be going on a little trip in a couple of weeks (Windsor to Goole, about 220 miles each way), so it'll be nice to get some more mileage under the wheels. I've already done heading for 1500 miles in the car since the beginning of January, so she's doing well.
wannab-x
Confirmed BX'er

Post by wannab-x »

By the way, thanks for the advice, guys :lol: