Stalling

BX Tech talk
toddao
BXpat

Stalling

Post by toddao »

Got a slight prob with stalling - always when going uphill! Any ideas?
Todd

this yellow writing is really hard to read
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Press the throttle pedal harder?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

Unhitch the horses?
That's the problem - going up the hill, giving it some pedal then back off to make a turn and she's gone. Starts on the next flick and idles fine. Do I live with it or fiddle about? Had it before but cleaning the injectors seemed to cure it. Hoping for a miracle cure from the seasoned campaigners. Some sort of mumbo-jumbo that I can chant over the engine bay without getting black fingernails!
Todd

jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

When was the fuel filter last changed?

As a matter of interest have you got a Bosch or Roto-diesel pump?

I don't think its air getting in for example through a split in a pipe which opens up when the engine twists on its mounts as I don't think it would start readily afterwards. Same goes for leakoff pipes on a Bosch (Roto-Diesel are not affected by the leakoff pipes - they just leak and smell!)

I take it there's plenty of fuel in the tank?
toddao
BXpat

Post by toddao »

The pump is Bosch. The filter is of uncertain heritage i.e I should change it
though the previous owner claimed it was recently replaced.
There is half tank of diesel presuming my gauge is reading properly - it sometimes needs a tap before it springs to life.
Todd

Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

One of mine used to surge and mess about when climbing steep hills, I finally cured it by replacing the fuel lines (I made them from copper pipe found at my local caravan shop) It might be worth by/passing the fuel heater on the rear of the motor if fitted.
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

There is an anti-stall adjustment on the Bosch pump - worth checking it. Instructions are in the Haynes Citroen Diesel engine book (I'll send a copy by e-mail if you pm me with your e-mail address)

Worth checking the filter - I'm wondering if its partially blocked - normally a large proportion of the fuel pumped would be returned to the tank. If the filter is blocked I suppose it can function with far less return - and eventually it'll have just enough for normal running but not quite enough under load.