Would you agree with my diagnosis ?

BX Tech talk
soxer123
Confirmed BX'er

Would you agree with my diagnosis ?

Post by soxer123 »

I am wondering if I may have a CV joint on the way out. here's why I think it could be that.

Low constant speed, say stuck in slow moving traffic, there is a pulsing feeling (not too strong) that comes through the car.

Yesterday in heavy traffic as I came up gently off the clutch I felt a judder, like clutch judder but I know the lcutch is OK.

At speed on the motorway the other day at 50 and 60 it felt like a wheel was out of balance. Comments on whether my suspicion it's a cv joint please.
1990 BX Meteor 55k

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Firstly check the engine mounts - especially the one at the bottom of the engine which connects to the body.

Outer joints will make noises when the steering is turned to lock.

Inners can cause trouble - get underneath and have a good pull and push around - especially up and down, and side to side. try twisting one bit while holding the other and see if there is any movement. Also worth listening while the wheel is turned.
soxer123
Confirmed BX'er

Due for MOT

Post by soxer123 »

It's going for a MOT on Monday, I am sure that will turn up anything untoward.

Rather them poke around underneath than me. Thanks for the guidance, it isn't making any noises on full lock.
1990 BX Meteor 55k

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

Don't forget tyres - if it's dependent on roadspeed. A detaching tread can give juddery symptoms - though normally in a very rhythmic way.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Unlikely to find either driveshaft or engine mount problems on an MOT unless it affects the suspension or pollution requirements.

Testers handbook here:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/welcome.htm
soxer123
Confirmed BX'er

Will take this into consideration

Post by soxer123 »

SOmeone is taking it for the MOT and giving it the once over. I will bring these possibilities to his attention, thank you
1990 BX Meteor 55k