Stereo fitted, goodbye central locking and clock!

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Stereo fitted, goodbye central locking and clock!

Post by cavmad »

Mate fitted a CD player to my TZD estate recently. Chuffed to bits as it was free from a scrapper and a nice bit of kit. BUT...since he`s wired it in I have no central locking and the digital clock on the dash doesn`t supply the time!
Any ideas please? Obviously there`s a wrong wire linked up somewhere but anyone know which one is the likely culprit?
Thanks in advance,
Vauxhall apologist.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

First Check Fuses :wink:

I ma betting he shorted the important one out?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Fuse 7 runs the central locking and clock but also the radio, glovebox lighting, interior lamps and cigar lighter as well.

The problem in fitting modern radios to BX is that the radios require a switched supply for the power and an unswitched supply for the memory. The BX only has an unswitched supply in its standard wiring - so I expect that your fitter has arranged another supply somewhere.

The clock has 4 wires! - Unswitched supply and earth, and ignition supply for the light and a sidelight supply to dim it!

Somehow your fitter will have tried to arrange a switched supply for the radio - but is unlikely to have taken the feed from the clock as its a very small wire. If I were doing it I'd take both feeds from the heavy power wire in the standard wiring and fit the switched feed from that through a relay and operate the relay from the clock feed - which would not overload it.

I mention this just to give some indication of the work that may have been done.

I'd take out the central tray (2 screws at the back edge) with the clock and have a look around - then I'd remove the rear part of the console and see if all the wires were on the central locking control unit which is there.

Incidentally fuse 7 should be 30 amp - ie massive.
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks, I`ll try and have a look over the weekend. If all else fails I`ll have to find my hammer and try that!!!

I`ll check the fuses just in case, seems like the best place to start.
Thanks once again.
Vauxhall apologist.
poormansgs

fuse 7

Post by poormansgs »

my recently acquired BX14 has power to the fuse; the fuse is good - but I get no power to the radio or cigarette lighter which I am led to believe are both powered from that fuse. I can only suspect a connector has come loose - but where ? - where to start - you know how difficult it is to start taking the dashboard apart. Anyone able to point me in the right direction please.
Thanks
Geoff
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

The problem in fitting modern radios to BX is that the radios require a switched supply for the power and an unswitched supply for the memory. The BX only has an unswitched supply in its standard wiring - so I expect that your fitter has arranged another supply somewhere.
I've always got around this (in BXs and other old cars) by supplying the same unswitched power feed to both points on the stereo. This trick has worked in about half a dozen cars for me.

It is about possible that if the fuse had been abused before, the extra load would kill it. I'd expect the stereo to also stop working though.
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

there aren't any connectors mid loom on the feeds from the fuse box to the digital clock or the radio (there is for the central locking), so if its a connector then i would suggest its either at the device end OR a wire has pulled out of the fuse board (ie not the fuse but the multi connector bank behind it!)

in any case, billys problem was a simple blown fuse caused by some 'special' wiring!
djoptix
BXpert

Post by djoptix »

stuart_hedges wrote:
I've always got around this (in BXs and other old cars) by supplying the same unswitched power feed to both points on the stereo. This trick has worked in about half a dozen cars for me.
Me too, though some stereos draw enough current to flatten the battery in a couple of days when on standby. Best to check it and listen for a slow starter motor...
Good heavens! My signature's been moderated...
stuart_hedges
1K Away

Post by stuart_hedges »

djoptix wrote:Me too, though some stereos draw enough current to flatten the battery in a couple of days when on standby. Best to check it and listen for a slow starter motor...
Ah yes, good point. My Sony has a particularly irritating feature - if you just press the off button once it goes into a standby mode which not only drains the battery but also gives a nice animated display - hello thieves! I'm over here!

If you push the off button and hold it for a few seconds it actually turns off.