Why me? Creaking noise from rear suspension.

BX Tech talk
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Why me? Creaking noise from rear suspension.

Post by cavmad »

My 1.9TGD estate has suddenly started making a nasty `creaking` sound from the o/s/r when going over anything bumpier than a postage stamp. When the car was switched off I gave the back a few good pushes down and it`s clearly audible. Pot holes etc make it sound awful, it`s a sort of loud `dry` creaking noise which sounds like something made out of metal is about to snap. Any ideas please?
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

you need a new radius arm bearing that is the exact sound they make if have a look round the postings there is plenty of info how to do it or i can scan the info i have and PM it to you. :)
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Cheers Sleepy, I think I have the bearing here which I got with the car. If you could post details I`d be very grateful though I feel like a bit of grovelling to Vanny and trip to Merseyside might be on the cards!
Is it a big job and how safe (or not) is it to drive the car like it is at present please?
Many thanks btw.
Vauxhall apologist.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

if you have the tools it is not a long job and it is safe to drive just dont go hammering over speed humps. I will scan the info and PM it to you :D
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

hmmm, did warn you it would need doing :D

It's not too hard for me to fix, only problem is time at the moment, might be able to have a crack at it on Wednesday but im supposed to be taking the other half for test drives at Citroen so we will have to see what they say. Im away all this weekend but free next weekend so maybe i can get to it then?

If i remember correctly you already have a kit? If not Matt has one on the shelf so i can probably steel that for the time being. Just dont give it too much abuse cos you DONT want to kill the arm as there near impossible to find! Is it worse on the N/S or O/S?
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Thanks Vanny, and yes, of course, you were right originally. I do have one bearing kit and arm thingy and the offside is the only audible side you can hear the noise coming from.
Weekend after next fine by me if we can`t arrange before that. On my jollies again 24-28 October so if you can possibly fit me in before then I`d be very grateful.
Bet you can`t guess where we`re going? :lol:
Vauxhall apologist.