Don't do this!

BX Tech talk
ken newbold
Over 2k

Don't do this!

Post by ken newbold »

Jacking up the rear of a BX by placing the jack under the metal bar that runs beneath the rear suspension cylinder. :twisted: I know must of us will know that already, but not everyone does.

This bar is not designed to carry the weight of the car and does bend upwards. No problem until the car sinks to it lower position, then the bar cuts the rear suspension gaiter.

This will fail the MOT, leak fluid and can be a fairly costly repair, new boot and clips required, plus the hassle of removing the R clip when it's seized in.
tim leech

Post by tim leech »

Agreed Ken, my Valver had a rather bent one which had to be reshaped with a crowbar when it was in for a MOT, fortuantly no damage was done.
ken newbold
Over 2k

Post by ken newbold »

Like I said, most of us already know this, but it's clear some of us don't. :?

All the mess (LHM) under this car was due to it bursting a HP pipe to the rear height corrector. This was the same pipe in exactly the same spot that burst on the silver one that Phil now has. Better check mine.

It seems to be caused by the chaffing of the nylon return pipe that outlets between the two steel ones. Better check mine, me thinks.

thanuttiscotsman
BXpert

Post by thanuttiscotsman »

hi there,
oooooh nasty, i think that plate it there to protect the suspension :lol: not kill it. will be a bit o' a bugger to sort out :x

cheers rossco
1989 BX 16v ph1 Chipped, k+N, full scorpion, weber throttle body, NOS 1990 BX 16v ph2
1996 transit 2.5di 80 swb
2006 Suzuki GSR 600cc Fast as F**K!
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Good size adjustable spanner on the bar will bend it back, and some chemically self-amalgamating tape will repair the gaiter (Maplins, £6.95 a roll).

Make sure the gaiter is absolutely clean before applying the tape.
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"