Petrol Leak

BX Tech talk
kiwi
Over 2k

Petrol Leak

Post by kiwi »

My BX has sprung a leak, petrol was pouring out from over the fuel tank. Went hunting for the only drain point I knew where the sender goes in to pump out some fuel.

After cutting into the original sound insulation I found my leak, the fuel sender unit was the culprit and loked like O ring seal failure. Its actually worse than that the white plastic ring has become fragile and has cracked.

My question is other than getting a new one which in NZ is going to be expensive :cry: is there a way of repairing it or making a larger seal?

6 litres of Fuel poored into the drip tray I put under the fuel tank, my daughter spotted it for me after I topped up the fuel tank. Not the best situation to be inside a double garage.
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

I don't know the answer to your questions mate. All I can suggest is getting on good terms with some guys over here who can post stuff to you. I'm happy to source and post for reimbursement - it's got to be cheaper than you buying new - even if it is available.

Oscar
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I am a little confused here. The sender unit goes into the top of the tank - yet a stationary car has apparently leaked 6 litres through a hole in the tank top?

I'd start by having a look at the pipework especially the steel pipes running the length of the car.

I had a leak on the ZX when we bought it - its diesel so the stuff hangs around a bit longer. Top of the tank was wet - so suspected the pipe outlets or the gauge unit seal - I replaced the wetter one - still a leak when I filled the tank. I eventually found a vent pipe that was just visible with a mirror and torch had split - and after cutting a hole in the floor I was able to replace it and cure the problem.

This one only leaked when the tank was full. About 4 gallons down it stopped.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Thanks for the offer Oscar, With clocks change this weekend so no longer 13 hours ahead I am hoping to catch my mate at Euroservice in Plymouth. I lost touch with him via email thanks to blueyonder bouncing emails sent to thim.

Jeremy, Yes thats correct a stationary car leaked 6 litres out the top of the sender unit. probably more but 6 litres is what was caught in the drip tray :lol:

What had happened is I went to top up the tank with a 20 litre fuel can, having done 200km that fitted. Next minute I know my daughter is pointing under the car. I figured something of hers was stuck under the car. What I saw was a petrol tank streaming out fuel. My first reaction was burst pipe but where?

The guy at the garage a few doors down gave me a fuel syphoon, because of the risk with a leak of that scale inside a confined area, (we are both in the volunteeer Fire Service so not a good look :shock: )

Only easy place to get fuel out is via the sender unit, so you can imagine the shock to see fuel bubbly out of the tank from the seals cant you?

All I can figure is that with the 19 it has the extra expansion fuel tank from the standard 52 litres making it a 66 litre tank. Because that is mounted slightly higher than the main tank that was the source of my six plus litre.

I remmeber a few weeks ago see ing a small amount of staining on the fuel hoses in the tank area last time I filled up and thought a breather hose problem. All I can say it was lucky I was not in the service station refueling. I have seen this happen before working in a servo when a guy in a Peugot 405 manged to get 80 litres into his car mostly on the ground :oops:

But yes it is the sender unit it has become fragile with age and the gasket is also failing. Withe the new additives in fuel the fuel lines should be monitored.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Finally got it fixed today after locating a second hand Sender unit, yesterday took a gamble and filled with 40 litres from the yellow warning light being on figuring that would keep below the 52 litres the main tank holds thus overflowing.

Lucky guess after driving 20 kms home it was just 3cms from the rim of the sender housing 8) Added 20 litres from a fuel can so nearly full and no leaks.

Only problem with the second hand unit is a slight dent to the cylinder and a flickering needle is evident. Not sure if thats caused by the float sticking or corrosion from the sensor not being immersed in fuel for a while?

Has anyone had alook at the mechanism of one of these senders before? I found it quite interstinga nd have some photos if anyone is interested?