Steering coupling

BX Tech talk
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Steering coupling

Post by Mr B »

Yes, that poxy rubber disc on the end of the steering column! There's me thinking :roll: it was a bolt off and bolt on job. Ohhhh noooo. Looks like I will have to remove it from the rack and grind off the bloody thing cos those dear sweet people at Citroen rivet the darn thing on :x

Deep breath.......in.........out........in.........out. Better. :oops:

So, am I right? Remove from the rack, grind off, new bolts to refit the pinionclampythingy, and fit back on the rack and column, or what?

Need to lie down now
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

if its only rivets then cant you just get landrover tool number one and beat it to a bloody pulp?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

err no make sure steering is centred then remove the steering column shroud then undo the upper clamp on the steering column lower it down to and rest it on the seatthen remove the grommet where the column goes through the floor now remove the pinch bolt on the hardy joint (rubber thingy) and pull the column out of its splines then from underneeth remove the 2 nuts which hold the hardy joint to the rack then off it comes the replacement is just a reverse procedure, If you need a new one I have a new one here you can have for postage cost only. I did mine a little while ago and was horrified how disintergrated mine was.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
Mr B
Northern Moderator
Northern Moderator

Post by Mr B »

Vanny wrote:if its only rivets then cant you just get landrover tool number one and beat it to a bloody pulp?
Oh yes! Daft though the rivet it to the clamp when its bolted to the column :x
1991 Landrover Discovery
1995 VW Golf SE
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

If I'm not mistaken though, you need to look at which way the bolts pass through or there's a chance you'll foul things when the wheel is turned.

Another word of warning to the 16V owners though; there's a heat shield, in fact two down there and if either or both have been left off, best do the pinion seals at the same time 'coz that's what buggered mine up; too much heat onto the area where the hardydisc fits and destroyed the seals in there as well as the clutch cable as well as a few other things.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

Oh yes whoops forgot to mention the heatshield and its spring and bolt. :shock:
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

No! its two bolts and two rivets 8)
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
Vanny
Merseyside resident
My Cars: BX 16v Ph2 - Jazz
BX 16v Ph2 - XPO

Post by Vanny »

on a more sensible note, is there enough room to drill the rivets? and do you have to put them back in, and are they blind?
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

are we talking about the hardy disk if we are the ones i have have a splined coupling on one side which the column connect to with a pinch bolt and the other side has 2 studs which bolt to the rack, if you was to take the coupling apart so as you have all lose parts of coupling , flange 2 metal discs and a lump of round rubber then yes you do have to grind the rivets of to get it apart but the ones i buy are already assembled they are a bolt on/off item from GSF. :?: the part numbers GSF N43070 £8.50 Citroen 95630094 £21.68 :D