ZX preheater problems

BX Tech talk
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

ZX preheater problems

Post by timbo »

hello one and all. My little ZX seems to have developed a fault with the preheater. We have on several occasions had it where the preheat light doesn't come on when turning the ignition but today it has decided not to come on at all. It was doing it last summer so it didn't really matter but as it is cooler.. well... it needs it. I am trying to track down where the problem is, is there a common fault with them? I have checked fuses and nothing is wrong there. So an electrical problem with:
1. the ignition switch
2. wires inbetween
3. Glow plugs (i don't think so)

Anybody got suggestions
:cry:
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

I had a similar problem on our 94 ZX 1.9D. For about 18 months its been a bit difficult to start as the motor wouldn't function in the starter position. I should say the thing had an after market immobiliser fitted which didn't help as all problems might have been in the immobiliser.

I didn't think it was the starter solenoid. The same symptoms could have come form a faulty connection with the plug (14 pin?) in the inner wing behind the black box nect to the battery - and I duly dismantled this and cleaned it. Better for a day!

I couldn't positively identify what was at fault - and disconnected the glow plugs and starter and put a meter on the starter feed. Worked perfectly for 100 or so key turns - and perfectly for a couple of weeks afterwards!

Eventually started stalling on hard braking - so I removed the key ring and just used the key - stopped stalling - so I know it was the switch.

Purchased new one from GSF - came through £20 less than list price - and they still gave me the free carriage even though it was now under £50!

New one is a Valeo one - old one was a Simplex. I had wondered about keeping the old barrel but that went out of the window. The Valeo does fit well - its just that it goes in at a different angle and the plunger release point is in a different key position. The more complicated claw locking device goes in perfectly pointing downwards whereas the button on the Simplex is at the top.

All perfect now and I've removed the immobiliser which was only wired into the switch section of the wiring.

Some people will suggest that it will work if you relieve the load on the switch by using it for the trigger current for a relay and let the relay carry the full current. I could have done this but was not certain if it would work reliably so replaced the switch itself.
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

The problem I have seems to be just the preheater (glowplug power supply). The light doesn't come on at the dashboard, power is present at the timer under the bonnet and the active supply is ok as well, this means that the power is not getting through the timer to the plugs. I think that I may have to get a new timer unit (as it is all in one sealed unit)...
:cry:
timbo
Confirmed BX'er

Post by timbo »

just to let people know that the problem was located.... one of the connections on top of a glowplug had worked it's way around and was only just making contact with the engine block!!!! there was no indication that there was a short at all!!!! Apparently there is protection built in to the timer/switch that energises the plugs and that is why there was not a major problem other than glowplugs not activating. I actually found out there was a dead short when i tried to bypass the timer unit and energise the plugs..... lotsa sparks not just a few when connecting a live terminal.... had a good look and yep..there it was ...a bit of a short .... fixed and running now .... :lol: