help, help handbrake 16v

BX Tech talk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

help, help handbrake 16v

Post by pinfold »

Does anyone know about hand brake cables?

Where the cable sits into the alloy housing, and is threaded with a adjuster nut and locking nut, is it threaded in or just pushed in?

i am talking just before the hand brake caliper adjacent to the brake disk

The problem i have is the cable that is broke is corroded quite badly into the housing, and we dont know how to get it out? Nor can we see if it is threaded or pushed in?

Applying heat was suggested, but there is a hydraulic hose, and rubber seals quite close which more than likely not take to kindly to the heat.

Any suggestions
:?
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The handbrake cable floats in the alloy caliper housing (and is quite a loose fit) . The 2 nuts are the adjuster and its locknut.

New cables are quite cheap. The outer cable tends to break where it goes through the wire loop bracket attached to the strut. Quinton Hazell cables have a thick (blue?) plastic cover which fits the wire bracket rather better and prevents the chafing. Probably wrapping a section of garden hose round a new cable (and securing it carefully with cable ties) would produce the same result.
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

thanks jeremy

looks like i will be drilling it out then eeek old cars do test your nerves
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The stub will probably shake loose soon after you start drilling - that sort of thing usually does!
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Plenty of penetrating oil, and hitting from left then right, then left, then right with a punch knocked it out, i can see what you mean that it is a loose fit, but unfortunately years of corrosion had packed the void tight, the threads could not be seen!

up and running now, fitted the new cable and was driving off within 30 mins!
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE