Where's my water going??!!

BX Tech talk
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

After a lot of "under-bonnet viewing" the only leak I can see for sure is the venting from the header tank hole, so I'm going to try another rad. cap (I'll see if I can get hold of a 2 stage one like you describe...) I might try your nifty self topping up idea too - Cheers for that :-)
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

No, I don't think so. Tens of thousands of TDs are scurrying around without the need for it. If you are venting steam with a new cap fitted and the correct level in the bottle then you have either a faulty head gasket or a radiator that is partially blocked with silt and is failing to control the engine temperature. Finding the fault will be the only satisfactory solution so I wouldn't go fitting extra header tanks. A good cooling system will not lose water however hard the car is driven.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

If its venting from the hole in the header tank neck then either its overfilled (have you found the level marker?) or its blowing water out due to excessive pressure - which can only be due to severe overheating leading to boiling or gas being introduced into the cooling system which means - head gasket failure or a cracked head.

Head cracks are quite common but often seal up as soon as the engine gets slightly warm.

Modifying the header tank with an additional expansion tank will not cure a problem elsewhere. These cars do not habitually loose water and will often run for months without anything being added.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

Many garages now have the ability to detect combustion products in the coolant, which if present indicate the beginnings of head-gasket failure. (which happens very gradually on the XUD engine.)

It's a very cheap test (free if the garage owner is in a good mood) and will either confirm or deny the possibility of over-pressure due to a head gasket failure.

What's the mileage on your BX? If they're going to pop, XUD turbo head gaskets seem to mainly fail around the 115k-140k mark. (regardless of which vehicle they're in)
this might be a signature
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I'll clarify my overflow tank a bit - I installed it when I was having similar coolant loss problems - but after some investigation work and installing a temperature gauge decided the problem was the rad - it was basically plugged up and not performing. I got a new one in from Lockwoods and installed it and that cured the overheating/coolant blowing problems. Without a temp gauge, you don't have any idea of what temp the engine is running at until the warning or lamp of death come on - neither of which is a good indicator. You could be running at around 100C all the time which is blowing the coolant out - so I suggest a first step might be to install a temp gauge, then check to make sure your rad is hot all over with no cold areas near the bottom. If you have around 150,000 miles or so on your car, it is probably time for a new rad - you'd be surprised at the difference they make.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

My TZD has only 82k on the clock (plus a full citroen service histroy... :-)). The message is clear from all and sundry - I must make sure the system is properly bled before anything else. I'll do that this week-end and take it from there. Ta, all
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)