Speedo cable BX 16v

BX Tech talk
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Speedo cable BX 16v

Post by pinfold »

I am now on my second new speedo cable in 6 months,

The first was incorrectly fitted by yours truely, and got torched by my exhaust (To many thrashes!!!)

The second i fitted this weekend!

I have noted on both occations that the speedo head has a slight wobble when driving, which i thought would have been cured by the new cable, however the cable i have been supplied comes intwo halves, and consists of a long peice that runs from the pod behind the dash to the glove compartment to just out of the engine compartment, and another which runs from there into the drive shaft, however to get into the drive shaft due to the position and length you have to do a "S" bend to get it in

Is this correct?

It seems to me that the best thing to do would be to go straight out the pod through the bulkhead and into the engine compartment straight this would eleiminate a lot of bends, shorten the cable, and hopefully stop my wobble. But to do this i would need to drill.

Has anyone else come across this?
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

That's the problem with right hand drive in cars that were designed for left hand drive - things like clutch cables, speedo cables and throttle cables are all run in different (and unfriendly) positions to what they were designed to do. There isn't a lot you can do with the speedo cable other than make sure it goes out of the back of the speedo head as straight as possible (tie wrap it to the metal bracket beside it helps), make all the bends as gentle as possible and I shoot a good shot of silicone spray down it and into the back of the speedo head itself from time to time. Doesn't entirely stop the needle wobble, but but definitely makes a difference.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
pinfold
Confirmed BX'er

Post by pinfold »

Thanks ellevie

Sorted!!!!!

Will order in a sheet of A4 paper from Citroen UK
BX GTI 16V 1991
XANTIA SDX 1996 ESTATE
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I hope you've got the part number. :lol:
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg
AlanS
BXpert

Post by AlanS »

ellevie wrote:I hope you've got the part number. :lol:
With dealers over here, they would definitely ask you for the VIN number too. :roll:

Just a sideline to this.
There was a guy over here who decided he would try something different, so went and had one custom made about 3 inches longer than the original. This made it easier to fit and as a bonus was about A$20 cheaper than the price I paid from a dealer for the genuine article. Incidentally, it was just the upper section he had replaced.

Alan S
By the time you're old enough to know it all, you can't remember why you were learning.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I always go armed with part numbers. Without the part number they ask for my vehicle registration number and then promptly decide that my 19TRS doesn't exist. :?
David

BX19TXD 150k K Reg