Fitting an Aerial

BX Tech talk
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Fitting an Aerial

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Hi I have a replacement aerial for my BX 16TGS and although it looks simple enough, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any tips for safely removing the sunroof motor and control housing. Is it just a case of removing the two visible screws at the rear and then dropping the housing down? Or are there hidden attachment points?

I then have to unscrew the exisiting, broken aerial from underneath using an 8 mm socket/spanner? I'll connect the new one up in reverse of the above. Am I right?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

The housing has two screws at the rear and two at the front by the sunvisor arms. For the motor you just need to disengage the mechanism and I believe it's held in with two screws. Haynes has an ok description of this.

I need to investigate my non-working aerial as it's bugging me now! Need to find out whether it's the top or the bottom end. It's a "side on" connection onto the back of the radio, and the aerial cable isn't *quite* long enough (so I've guessed there is a bad connection) and there's no more slack, I've tried pulling it...

Anyway, good luck with yours!

Mark.
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

Erm, is your s/roof motor actually working? Because you don't actually need to remove it at all to change the aerial....the 8mm nut is accessable through a little hole in the role bracing in front of the s/roof motor. I usually take the cover panel off and unhook it from the switches though...it gets in the way otherwise, and can be a bit of a faff with only two hands.
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

A doddle. Just undid the four screws, let the unit hang by the wires, didn't need to disconnect anything. And now I can get radio. It's the original Blaupunkt unit that the lady had never even turned on. I still needed to tap in the code and program... Shame I don't have any cassettes to put in it!
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
mnde
Meteor Man
My Cars: 2007 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 16V VTX
1982 Citroen GSA Spécial Estate - gone to a new home
1991 Citroen BX16 TGS Meteor - still out there somewhere!

Post by mnde »

I need more cassettes!! Only have 2 or three at the moment. Alternatively I need to get the aerial fixed up.

Guess which numpty left the CD player and tape adaptor in the GSA glovebox when it went to the workshop in February... :oops:

Well done with getting yours fixed Phil! Looking forward to seeing this 16 auto :)

Mark.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You may find some second hand cassettes in charity shops - otherwise I think Maplins and others sell adaptors for later things to use it.