1.6 TRS Oil in one of the bores

BX Tech talk
sleepy0905
1K Away

Post by sleepy0905 »

That does sound like rings or piston my diesel did the same begore billy and ken helped with the engine change infact it used 2.5 litres of oil to go from lincoln to chester what wasnt being burned was being pumped out everywhere and the fumes from the dipstick was choking.
2017 Seat Leon ST FR 2.0 150Bhp
DLM
Our Trim Guru
My Cars: Historically, lots of BX hatches/estates in the 90s/00s - 16/19i/17td/19d
Recent scruffy diesel n/a estate - "The Red Shed" - is no longer mine.

Post by DLM »

The Haynes reckons worn rings,bores or valve guides is likely, has anyone else come across this with the 1.6 ?
Yes. My first BX, a 1.6RS presented some similar symptoms - and at lesser mileage (60-something k). I hummed and ha'd over it quite some time too, I can assure you, taking a variety of advice before going the replacement engine route.

I've also had another 1.6 which needed the valve stems doing at 100kish. - oily plugs all round. Valve stem seals were changed and the considerable amounts of oil and smoke disappeared. I'd expect to be smelling a little oil burning by now if in reverse with the windows open.

Hope this helps.....
On the other hand:

(1) If the car is regularly parked the same way round on a high-camber road AND the cylinder corresponds to the lowest point (i.e. the kerbside) then you could be seeing everything in the gallery (o.k. the cylinder head) leaking down through just ONE worn valve stem seal. THis could have been my first-bx problem. Compression testing will probably eliminate/confirm any possibility like this, or you can try the engine-braking downhill-followed-by-acceleration test. If it smokes madly on the acceleration phase, but not before, then you have valve stem seal problems.

(2) If it's valve stem guides then the replacement seal job WILL cure the problem (can be done without taking the head off using the rope-in-cylinder-trick or compressed air to lift the valves).

(3) All 1.6 petrol BXs I've owned crudded up with mayonnaise in the oil filler - especially in winter and when used for short journeys. Radiator mayonnaise is likely to be another matter. Breathers for the engine can be blown out using compressed air.

Hope this is of some help.
Back on two wheels and pedal power for the moment.