Gearbox or clutch prob and is it terminal?

BX Tech talk
Numptychucker
Confirmed BX'er

Gearbox or clutch prob and is it terminal?

Post by Numptychucker »

Hopefully you guys may be able to help at least diagnose this prob

Symptoms on a 1.9 diesel, very small amount of play to engage and disengage gears, no slipage from clutch but when put into reverse you here this whirring grinding noise. Is it the clutch on its way out or is it the gearbox dry or is it terminal?

Cheers

Newbie with bx bug!
go further on veg oil
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

First question :?: When was the gearbox Oil Last Changed? If the answer is "I dont know" then now is the time to change it :)

How terminal the gearbox will be depends on how dry it is or dirty the bits that come out. If you get a few bits of flack and chunks of cog in the oil then yep its terminal.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What play are you talking about? Do you mean that the clutch only disengages with the pedal on the floor? - if so try adjusting it - the adjuster is on the end of the cable on top of the bell housing, and the cable should be shortened. Dimensions are in Haynes.

As clutch plates wear the breaking point should rise - hence the adjustment. However at huge mileages on these cars the diaphragm spring fingers and the release bearing wears causing the breaking point to sink. It is also a matter of pride that no professional clutch fitter ever adjusts a cable so new clutches often break with the pedal on the floor.

New gearbox oil is worth trying - make sure you use the correct stuff - wrong oil will make it impossible to change gear. The linkages should also be inspected and lubricated - with something better than WD 40.i
Numptychucker
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Numptychucker »

Great stuff thanks guys, the car has only 93,000 miles but at a guess its in real need of a good service, i have ordered a haynes manual so when it arrives i will get the oil changed and have a crack at the rest of the bits n bobs. If anyone has any further thoughts then please let me know.

Cheers

Nick
go further on veg oil
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Top document under BX is a Haynes manual (petrol) in english. there may be a chapter missing. This is the last (Blue covered) edition which isn't as good as its immediate predecessor.

The diesel engine is covered in a separate manual.
kiwi
Over 2k

Post by kiwi »

Got to agree with you Jeremy the newer Blue Haynes manual is not as good as the earlier guide. You would have thought the second edition would have improved?
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

What seems to have happened is that Haynes heavily supplemented the earlier edition to take account of the TU engine, 16 valve engine and revised wiring and then when production finished - they consolidated it into a newer format manual - which doesn't have the same detail.
Numptychucker
Confirmed BX'er

Post by Numptychucker »

So basicaly choose the brown one instead of the blue one..gottya, even i can get that right ....well :wink:
go further on veg oil
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg