Manual Gearbox Oil Replacement WARNING (Reverse Gear Clamp)

BX Tech talk
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Manual Gearbox Oil Replacement WARNING (Reverse Gear Clamp)

Post by ellevie »

If you follow the Haynes manual instructions, there is a chance that you will confuse the reverse gear shaft 13mm clamp bolt with one of the drain plugs described in Haynes. DO NOT REMOVE THIS BOLT.

reverse gearshaft clamp bolt

The Haynes manual refers to the old pre 1986 gearbox which had two drain plugs, one on the differential housing about an inch from the front of the subframe, the other on the lower front of the gearbox. The newer gearbox uses only one drain plug, the one on the differential housing. Also, the filler plug has been moved to the gearbox end cover facing the wheel. In this new position. accessed via the wheel arch, it also acts as an indicator of the correct oil level by filling until oil is just about to overflow through the hole (make sure the car is level).

The newer Haynes manual also states "From 1990, routine oil changes are no longer specified" so this begs the question whether gearbox oil only needs checking and topping up from time to time, or perhaps after an oil leakage has occurred.

Be aware that engine oil, manual gearbox oil, and automatic gearbox oil are completely different. It should say manual on the bottle, for example "Total Transmission BV 75W80 Manual Transmission Oil".

Gearbox oil is very thick when cold, flowing like syrup. If you are using a tube and funnel to pour it in, it helps to warm it up in a pan beforehand.

Gearbox oil also stinks to high hell.

old gearbox

new gearbox
Last edited by ellevie on Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
Kitch
Over 2k
My Cars: Too many to list

Post by Kitch »

So who did that then? :wink:
One third of a three-spoke BX columnist team for the Citroenian magazine.

CCC BX registrar: The national BX register - click to submit a car!

1983(A) 16TRS (Rouge Valleunga)
1990(H) 16Valve (Rouge Furio)
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

I was lucky, apparently the whole thing can fall in a heap if you take the 13mm bolt out. :?

Interestingly, I still had about a third of a litre left over after filling it through the side filler hole. Perhaps having it up on axle stands caused it to overflow too soon. I think I'll look at it again tomorrow and perhaps dump the remaining third in through the breather.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
RichardW
BXpert

Post by RichardW »

Vanny learnt the lesson about that bolt the hard way ISTR..... :(
I NEED a BX TD.