Interior lights don't come on when the doors are open...

BX Tech talk
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Interior lights don't come on when the doors are open...

Post by simonineaston »

Hi Folk, I've got the bit between me teeth good and proper after doing the heater fan pcb mod. :-) This week's problem is to do with my courtesy lights... They don't come on when the doors open. The components of the system seem to work OK seperately - the lights work when I slide the black switches, and the push-switches in the door frames work OK, judging by the red lights in the "you've left your doors open" thingy next to the "keep your Toll Bridge money here" box - is there anything else I ought to be looking for? BTW, I counted 7 bulbs in the "you've left your doors open" thingy, whereas I've only got 4 doors + 1 bonnet and 1 boot = 6... any ideas what the 7th one is for?
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sunroof? Nah, can't be.

Can it? :?
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

Hmm, this car's going to cost me a fortune in tiny little bulbs...
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

The door open warning light display works on switches in the door locks - the interior lights work on the switches on the hinge face. The live wire is simply earthed by the switch - so unscrew the switch and connect the wire on the back of it to the body somewhere and the lights will probably come on.

New switches are about £1.50 each form GSF and places - you may be able to clean the old ones. Many of these cars have courtesy light switches on the rear doors as well.

Some cars do not have boot and bonnet switches and wiring for the door warning light (my DTR Turbo doesn't). Take the panel out, remove the mystery bulb, shine a light down its socket and tell us what the symbol is.
tom
Citroen Sorceror
My Cars: 2003- Passe-Partout 1.9 TGD estate
2005 Grolliffe Tizzydee turbo estate and sundry other BXs and Grace, a CX TRD.
2008 to 2023 - all sorts of stuff, some interesting
2024. TxD 1.9D estate. 'Wheelybin'

Post by tom »

Glove box of course! :roll:

Backlight for the display when it is dark!
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

shine a light down its socket and tell us what the symbol is.
With hand shaking with excitement, I turned my torch on and closed the curtains... (don't know if the link to the photo on Picassa is going to work as I've not done it before)

Even more exciting is the fact that I mis-counted - there are eight sockets - one is blanked off.
If the img link works, you might be able to see the faint white bars round the rear lights - there is a similar pair up at the front end.
The graphic in the sun-roof space suggests "you're not wearing your seat belt" to me. Neither opening my sunroof or unplugging my seat-belt resulted in any lights going on tho' - maybe I need to save up for some more bulbs. ;-)

PS have'nt managed to include the pic - any advice, folks - I've read the FAQ... :roll:
Last edited by simonineaston on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
Philip Chidlow
Over 2k

Post by Philip Chidlow »

Sorry incomplete link there, old chap :)

Oh. :D

Still not working mate.

Try Photobucket.com
• 1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Hurricane
• 2006 Xsara Picasso 1.6 16v
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

Philip chidlow wrote:Sorry incomplete link there, old chap :)

Oh. :D

Still not working mate.
Have tried loads of combinations of click and type - still can't get it to work - perhaps you'd all like to come round and have a look ;-) I'm in Oxford right now but will be in Bristol over the week-end!
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

you've posed part of a hyperlink as your image.

Which site have you used to host the image on, as most image hosting sites will give you a direct url to use on a forum.

The trick is... if you can paste the link directly in your web browser URL bar, and it works, then it will work on a forum.
this might be a signature
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Its rather strange but I don't think any BX in this country was fitted with seat belt warning lights or lamp failure warning lights. I say strange as these things were all the rage with some other manufacturers - but a bit like trip computers - even the late GTi's escaped.

At least they can't go wrong!
simonineaston
Confirmed BX'er

Post by simonineaston »

I'll try your various advice re: the pix later today... Cheers !
Simon, Bristol UK
('91 TZD 1.7)