2nd new starter motor in 6 months

BX Tech talk
cacaolat
BXpert

2nd new starter motor in 6 months

Post by cacaolat »

got the car to the garage today....will get more details tomorrow, but the starter motor, which was fitted new last October is gone. Even the one, which was in it before looked quite new. Is there some electric problem burning all the starter motors.... :(
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

You mentioned before that the earth lead got hot - this could be a problem.

If you look at a dynamo and a motor they look quite similar. In fact if you turn a motor it will act as a generator - and this happens even while its being fed current and generating power.

So - your starter is optimised to produce maximum power at very low revs and will do so. As soon as it starts to turn it will start generating as well and this back EMF (Electro-motive force) balances the current fed into the motor - and reduces it.

With a poor connection or a low battery the motor will turn below its designed speed, won't develop the designed back emf and will consume too much current.
cacaolat
BXpert

Post by cacaolat »

New valeo starter motor fitted for free, as the garage got it in warranty and even fitted it for free.... :P
About the poor earth connection, I hope that that I have fixed that one earlier....well it was just before the starter motor went...but all seems fine now....
former BX 16 TGS Meteor Auto owner. No space or time to do own repairs. My BX is now owned by another member of this forum.
Mike E (uk)
1K Away

Post by Mike E (uk) »

I had my 11 year old starter motor jam on, and it burnt out.

So I bought a new one, which I fitted and after about 3 starts, it also stuck on. It kept running even with the engine off.

I disconnected the battery to stop it.

Sent that back, and got another one.

Next one worked OK for a few days, then did the same thing as the last one.

Fitted third and its been fine now for 18 months.
DavidRutherford
BX Digit man!

Post by DavidRutherford »

I had a Cavalier many years ago that used to do this. Starter would stick on every now and then. Eventually I carried a small chunk of steel with me in the oddments tray to bash the end of the starter, and drop the solenoid out.

Ran like that for about 6 months, then suddenly it never stuck again.

Meh.
this might be a signature