Where do they go

BX Tech talk
artic-steel

Where do they go

Post by artic-steel »

I have a 16TGS, the return pipe between the acumulator sphere & reservoir has split.
Where it joins the reservoir i'm sure many of you will know, there are 2 thinner pipes leading away into the depths (3 on my TXD intrestingly).

Were do these pipes go & is it an easy repair?
Oscar
1K Away

Post by Oscar »

Aren't they strut leak-off return pipes?
(Red BX 1.7TZD ("Well, it is a style icon" - Tom Sheppard)) "Was", Tom, "was"
jeremy
Over 2k

Post by jeremy »

Are you referring to the 2 clear pipes at the filler? - They actually go no-where - well that's not quite true - they go into the inner wing and one gets trapped and with the movement of the inner wing pulls tight and breaks the rubber 'T' piece.

Loads of info on Citroen DIY site -

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

They are the black pipes that come off the accumulator return just before it joins the reservoir.they go into the engine bay
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

No idea how to post pics sorry Jon so i'll try & explain.

Looking at the LHM tank from the front of the car, there are 6 pipes that connect to the tank, 4 thin & 2 thick.
Of the thick ones, the one nearest the bulkhead goes to the pump.
The other thick pipe goes to the accumulator sphere, this is the one to which i'm refering.

Just before it joins the LHM tank 2 thinner pipes come off it at 90' angles & run along the inner wing (between the LHM tank & the alternator, they disappear under an engine mounting, but where do they go?, is it an easy fix? (mine are broken where they join the thick pipe, i'm guessing i'll have to change this as well).

Sorry for the long winded explanation, i only hope it helps.
Stewart (oily!)
1K Away

Post by Stewart (oily!) »

My money is on it being the "Small Octopus"
Stewart
TZD 19 TD one of the few
Xantia Td estate, going soft
roscoe
BXpert

Post by roscoe »

I think they are the front strut returns and mine broke in the same place. I went to my local autoparts store and picked up a couple of small 90 degree elbow couplings (think they were 3mm or so), trimmed the rubber connections on the big hose a big and stuck them in the holes there. Plugged the smaller pipes onto the other end, used a small tie wrap on each to hold them in place and haven't had a drop of LHM out of them in 6 months. A lot easier and quicker than trying to change the octopus...and cost me about $3 Aud.
cheers,
Roscoe
1991 TZD
2004 Peugeot 307
1990 Mitsubishi Express Van - Alpaca Transporter
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

page 177, item 1, "oil back harness" in BX parts list bx2_19.pdf available at http://rammstein.dfmk.hu/~xminfo

return pipe "B" in light blue in www.mars.dti.ne.jp/~ynar/bxorg_archives/m15/m15e.html

They go to the front and rear height correctors.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
artic-steel

Post by artic-steel »

Wow, thats a good site, they are the ones, so hard are they to change?, i may find the answer reading the text & not just looking at the pictures, i'll do this tonight.
ellevie
Forum Treasurer

Post by ellevie »

The Japanese site is excellent although you should raise a smile or two when you read it in detail. The other "microfiche" site is also excellent. It is well worth keeping a copy of the parts list pdf on your hard disk --- it is an excellent source of part numbers, and the diagrams are very informative.

I've yet to change either the big or small octopus, although I have done a repair to the upper rubber return pipe on the front height corrector. Access using one arm from above or via the wheel arch is very fiddly but just about possible.
David

BX19TRS 118K E Reg 1992-2008
BX19TRS auto abs 96k F Reg
BX19TXD 150k K Reg
cavmad
Keeper of the site Goat

Post by cavmad »

Andy, I have various lengths of old octopus/lhm pipe from a couple of BX`s I`ve scrapped. If you can make use of any of them please let me know and they`re your`s.
I have owned BX`s before that have had broken pipes bridged by someone inserting small pieces of metal pipe between where the breaks were.
I should point out that I don`t know if this is either safe or permanent but I certainly didn`t have any trouble with them at any point and obviosuly this a short term solution rather than a cure.
Sing out if you want any bit of pipe or a hand fitting them mate.
Vauxhall apologist.